Friday, December 5, 2008

Fitness Friday: Love Your Body Edition

I don't think it's any secret that women suffer from self-esteem issues sometimes. Not all the time--just from oh, 8 or 9 years old until....45 I'm guessing?

I'm kidding. I felt just fine about my self at age 8 or 9.

Knowing that you are overweight or out of shape can really affect how you feel about your body. We just simply stop wearing certain things or even doing certain things. I know people who have not been swimming in years. And this is TEXAS!

The fact of the matter is, we aren't the best judges of our looks. The things that bother me about myself, my husband does not even notice. The things he is attracted to, I don't even think about. When I look in the mirror, I'm all about making sure I don't look too fat. It's all about the stomach area for me. Him? He loves the way my skin looks and feels. Among other things. I'm just saying that the things WE think are such a big deal may not be what others notice at all!

Well now that we are getting a handle on the-things-that-bother-us-but-we've-been-ignoring...it's time to look at ourselves in a new light. I mean, we are God's creation.

So, a few of my favorite things about myself are:

1. My lips. They are full and have color to them so that I don't really worry about lipstick too much. In fact, I pretty much like my smile too. Thanks to mom and dad and the orthodontist. :)

2. My feet. When they are shaved at least. :) I've seen some ugly feet, but I like mine OK.

3. My skin tone. We are Scotch/Irish in this family, but my great grandmother was Native American and I guess I got just enough pigment from her to avoid the skin tone of my white as ghosts sisters! Don't worry-they know.

4. My eye color (hazel.)

5. And I like my boobs, OK?

Come to think of it, I guess what I really don't like is just the SHAPE of my body. I never got used to the shift of things after having babies and the weight gain didn't help any. I think underneath it all I have a fine figure...I just have to locate it!

Huh. I feel better about myself than I thought I did!

15 comments:

  1. I love your smile too! It is so pretty in your picture!! And my husband thinks my boobs are my best feature...I would agree after my hair. I worry if I lose too much weight he would't like them. He said...Don't worry about that:)...(was that an excuse??)

    I love your list. You do have a lot of positive things, which is a great attitude to have!! Keep it up, I hope to locate my good figure sometime soon too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have nice skin, too! From what I can see in pictures, anyway! :)

    Great topic, Brenda! On my way to post right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your smile, too! And I like my boobs, too, lol!

    You know, when we take the time to do a balanced assessment, we can find plenty to like about the way we look. This was a good topic, Brenda. I'm glad you thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Luanne, I think it is!

    And I have lost inches around my bra size, but nuttin' in the cup size. So, no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so funny! I live your smile, it is one of my most UNFAVORITE things about myself even about weight! I wouldnt mind pictures of myself so much becasue I am fat if I just liked my smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good things to like! I didn't think about listing more than one thing. Well, I guess I DID list two, but maybe there are others. I definitely don't mind my boobs either. Ha! That's funny to admit on the internet! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice topic choice! I haven't ready everyone else's post yet, but I doubt anyone chose the same thing I did...

    It would be interesting to find out what my husband would have answered for me. I'll have to ask him tonight :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for such a great topic = focusing on the positive assets is a definite motivator to enhance the others that need some "help" - ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ramen-Uncle Willy Style, is my brother's college dorm creation. Per package we use 2 1/2 cups water ((we like a lot of broth)), adding one beaten egg per package (to increase protein content), sliced green onion, toasted sesame seeds, chili paste to taste, and all except one seasoning package (cutting the salt somewhat). Since, in our family, three out of six don't prefer it spicy, we pass the chili paste at table.

    He has another version that is more Thai at heart, using peanut butter, green onion, chili paste, and sesame seeds. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I truly did not know there were Ramen recipes out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had jury duty A-L-L day today, and have to go back next week, and then I'll know if I have to go back for m-o-n-t-h-s .... I'm not kidding. If that happens, all things will be going on hold, including blogging around and blogging on Winter Creek. I'm doing fairly well, in general, but the PULLS on my schedule right now are very great. I'll be back when I can.

    Oh, I have no doubt that you have very nice boobs! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list.
    I love the feet thing--I've always shaved my toes and the tops of my feet. Have to! Lol. Tonight I need to wax my lip for a party. Ouch! Just comes with the Greek and Eastern European descent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great topic, Brenda--I love how God prompts you to then prompt us to evaluate how we think. And I can tell you right now--those who found it difficult to answer this question are also struggling to be successful with their habit changes. Our behaviors will follow our mindsets every time.

    Oh, and I love that you can say that you like your boobs & put it out there for all of us to read. Keepin' it real, for sure! (And so something I would say, though I didn't this time. Well, I guess I did, just not in so many words...) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had fun reading your post. It's true that my husband doesn't see my faults the way that I see them. And it's not that he doesn't notice that I'm still working on loosing weight, but he is not worried about it. To him, we've gained 6 great kids. A great way to look at it, but although I love the kids, I do wish I looked like I did when we met in college (:
    So, I wrote my post on Thursday, and now I'm linking it today. Hmm, everyone else is a lot more on the ball than me. Sorry!
    Have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)