Tuesday, May 8, 2007

MAJOR Revision Over Here at "The Family Revised"


Want to hear how cool God is?

You know I've been praying for God to make us into a godly family. I want us to be the way He wants us to be. During part of this process I decided I'd better read up on homeschooling. I didn't really agree with it, but thought, "What if I have to do this one day because we are missionaries? Shouldn't I know something about it?" Well, the book I read was written from a Christian point of view and needless to say, the Lord worked on my heart. How else can you explain my about-face? Now I wanted to homeschool! I wanted to be a homemaker! Where were these thoughts coming from?

God has been working on me a lot. Turns out when you pray for God to change your family, you might have to do some changing, too. We have learned so much about God's plans for family. Now I'm not saying everyone should homeschool. But I do believe we are to train our children and that is a job I'd rather not sub-contract out. It hasn't been working for us.

But, (sigh), there is no way we can homeschool because I have to work at least part-time to make ends meet so...

Haven't I been here before? Just like the Israelites standing at the edge of the Red Sea. The Egyptians are coming up fast from the back and nothing is before me but water. How will God possibly fix this?

Who knew he would part the water!!?!

Well, God is at it again folks because my husband got a job offer--WITHOUT EVEN SEEKING IT--and if this all works out, I can quit. I can stay home. I can homeschool.

This is HUGE. It is so completely obvious that it's from God that I just had to share how good He is. He's always good, even if this does not work out. But what a blessing. What a God we serve!

So, that's my major revision to our family. Things are about to get really different around here, folks! And don't you just think that a new blog design would be the perfect complement to our new life style that I will most assuredly be blogging about? Me too! Our good friend over at Everyday Mommy is giving away a free blog design for Mother's Day. What a cool gift for someone! (Clearing throat loudly.) OK, I know it's random. :)
I am excited and nervous and looking forward to this change. I will keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. Brenda, I know this is old, so I hope this emails you when someone comments. I might have just missed it, but what is the name of the book you read about homeschooling that changed your life????

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Rachel, I HOPE I'm right...but I'm pretty sure I was talking about this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Family-Matters-Homeschooling-Makes-Sense/dp/0156300001/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

    The author is a teacher but they homeschool their boys so he has seen both sides and that was pretty impressive. Also it isn't a how-to book but a "reasons for" book. It's the only one like that I read. I know it was mostly the Lord working on my heart while I read, but also the book helped me see the bigger vision. It isn't really all about education, but about family and raising your children. School happens along the way.
    I found the book at the library.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)