Monday, May 14, 2007

New Year's Eve in May


January is NOT the time I feel renewed. I don't feel like it's a "fresh start" because it's right in the middle of the school year. Now May is a different story! School is almost over, summer is beginning. THIS is a fresh start. This is my new year. (By the way, I also feel this energized in August just before school starts.) I always make big plans this time of year.

We are putting up with school but not much else. Homework is done because it has to be. But really, folks, this year is already over. Even the teachers would agree. So my thoughts are already on the summer vacation. It starts in just 10 short days!

My sister is the kind of nerd who has already printed blank calendars and is penciling in every activity for the next 2 1/2 months. She was born like this. I actually have made a schedule this summer. I was not born like this. I was inspired by
the Maxwell's book. I hope it will help us get things done and limit my computer time/children's TV time too. (Time-eaters!) This is very not like me, you must understand. Another reason I think the schedule will be important this year is because if we are going to homeschool next year, how could I go from laying around doing nothing to expecting to get something done all in a one week's span? This will make the transition smoother, I think.

So as I make plans to stash the school work and backpacks, I am also making plans for what I want to get done this summer. Doesn't everyone make these kinds of lists, if only in their heads? Like I said, some people do this on January 1st, but not me.

Here are some of the things floating around in my head: 1. wallpaper the entryway (it's only been a bare wall for 6 or 7 months) 2. declutter some closets 3. finish painting rooms 4. sew, sew, sew (duvet cover for daughter, curtains, dresses, etc.) 5. teach social studies and science to daughter since they skipped those in school this year 6. have a lot of fun and enjoy my family

Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it. See? My husband is right. Everyone is going to be a lot happier if we have a schedule. Oh yeah, and just like January for some people, weight loss/excercise is part of this plan, too. For both my husband and me! We really need to encourage each other because folks, we used to be skinny. My mom just showed me a bunch of pictures from when we were dating. Enough said.

OK, I need to go dig out my swimsuit now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)