Saturday, May 19, 2007

Icky Days

Sometimes I don't like Saturdays. I can't believe I'm saying that since for most of my life I lived for them! These days Saturdays mean an interruption to our comfortable little schedule. The kids always wake up really early on Saturdays and I don't get to sleep as late as I'd like. (On school days I can hardly get them out of bed!) Some Saturdays, like today, my husband has to go into work. Some Saturdays we are all together the whole day. For whatever reason, I just don't always enjoy Saturdays like I used to.

I think it's because it's the one day we have to do everything that needs to be done. I have to make a grocery list, go shopping, pay bills, catch up on laundry, clean the house, etc. etc. etc. Not a joyful outlook on the day.

But this morning I'm reminded of what a blessing it is to be home with my girls today. I have the money to go to the grocery store. My washer and dryer are both working. I have a house to clean. I am very blessed.

One day at work I couldn't get something to work out and was getting really frustrated. One of our office volunteers suggested I stop and pray about it and then try again. Of course, how silly of me. It's not that I don't think God listens to prayers about little things, it's just that I don't think to ask. I pray for the BIG things--jobs, money, my children's safety, for my husband, problems we may be having, etc. I forget to pray that God will just help me have joy and smile at my children as I go about my tasks. And really, that is not a little thing.

Dear Lord, Please be with me today as I do all the tasks you have blessed me with. Help me to show a spirit of joy to my husband and my children. Help me to be organized and to bless my family with a clean house, clean clothes, food in the pantry, and still time to enjoy my family. Thank you for this day. In Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Brenda~

    I hadn't checked out your blog in a few weeks, and it looks great! I've gotten a lot out of what I read tonight- keep up the good work!

    (Lauren from MIH)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda!

    Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog.

    I, too, have to remind myself that the things I consider "work" are the privileges of provision. Thank you for the timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)