Thursday, May 17, 2007

It Starts Early

My three year old was helping me cook the other evening. This is the conversation we had:

Her: Mommy, why you cook dinner?

Me: Because we are hungry.

Her: Why Daddy doesn't cook dinner?

Me: Because taking care of the home is the Mommy's job.

Her: What Daddies do?

Me: Daddies take care of our family by going to work to make money so we can buy things we need.

Her: Oh.

End of conversation. Now, you might not agree with my answer. I wondered later what my answer would have been if I was a die-hard feminist.

And I was struck by how very early they take note of what's going on around them. Attitudes, assumptions, thoughts...are all developed so very early. You might think the kids are little and you don't have to have it all together until they are older. Not true. Kind of scary, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)