Thursday, May 3, 2007

Housekeeping is a VERB!

What happened? This house was completely picked up just a few short days ago. We've had a busy week in the evenings. Sunday night we went to the park for a picnic. Monday was my husband's birthday, so we had family over. Tuesday we went to Academy to get his present. Wednesday was church. We haven't had an evening at home this week and everything is falling apart!

There is widom in the Bible about being a keeper AT home. You really have to be here to keep up with things! Just in this living room there are like, 50 things out of place. Some are as small as a pair of scissors laying on the side table. Others are big like a quilt that needs to be folded and put away. But they will all take time to put away. That's just one room of my house.

This is one reason why my children will have chores this summer. I am not going to pick up after them all the time. Plus lots of other really good reasons such as: 1. They need to know how to keep a house. 2. It teaches responsibility. 3. They need to know they are needed around here. 4. It is our job to train them. etc.

I bought and read "Managers of Their Chores" by Steven and Teri Maxwell. I am working on a list of what things will go in the girls' chore packs. I know this is going to take a lot of work and consistency on my part. But just imagine...

Imagine a home where you don't have to do all the work. Imagine husband coming home to a clean house. Imagine everyone working side by side during the day instead of being constantly interrupted by disputes as you try to get something done. (Sometimes when I'm folding laundry I leave the laundry room 3 or 4 times! During one load!)

A youth minister I know once said that we must have a picture in our minds of how we want our children to turn out. What does an 18 year old disciple of Christ look like? OK, what do 2 teenagers who know how to do just about everything in the home and with a proper attitude and are almost ready for adulthood look like? Now, how do I get them there?

Well, 15 more days of school before I implement my plan. So for now one thing is for sure:

Blogging is not cleaning my house.

Time to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)