Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Round Here

I've been on a Counting Crows kick lately. I do not know why. I was not particularly a fan of Counting Crows in the early 90s, but suddenly I have their songs in my head. Gotta love me some "A Long December" even if the lyrics make no sense. Who needs sense, right? I also gotta love a Jewish guy who gets fake dreds and pulls that look off for more than a decade.

Anyway.....don't know what's going on around here but Saturday Sweetheart started cleaning her room without being told. Then yesterday she took a bath of her own volition and asked me if she could paint her nails. Yes, I suppose all children get to the age where they start to care about how they look but if you know Sweetheart in real life can appreciate the amazingness of this. Of course I don't want my girls to be obsessed with how they look or spend hours primping and fussing in front of the mirror....but caring if your hair is brushed or not is good. Cleaning your room is even better!

I think it's about time to read Beautiful Girlhood with her. I have hesitated to read it in the past--you may think this is crazy--because of the part that talks about "soon you will lay aside your dolls and pursue other things". I didn't even want to put the idea in her head that she should stop playing and enjoying being a little girl. Maybe we'll skip that part. The rest of the book is SO good. (That link is to the book! Wow!)

It's very cool watching her become a young lady. You know I said we are skipping "teenager" around here.  Oh the best laid plans.....  I mean it though. I do not want to raise my children with the expectation that they can BE a teenager for 6+ years and THEN become a young adult. Rather, like the book talks about, I would prefer they transition from "girlhood" to "young lady." Oh if I could figure out how to do that.

Part of the plan is to not listen to what the world says about being a teenager. We can set our own expectations. Not being a part of a youth group will no doubt help our cause as well. One of the teens at our church was lamenting that she wished people would mature when they reached puberty. I told her they used to do just that. Goodness, children her age were living a very different life less than 100 years ago. Times have certainly changed and we seem to think this is how things have always been. I think so much of it is about expectation.

I've also been dreaming and planning and researching for next year. For the record, we have 12 1/2 more weeks of THIS year. I have no business looking this far ahead, but it's so fun! I should be making plans for summer first, huh?

Lastly, I've been enjoying showering in my own bathroom again! It's so nice to have all our home renovations done. I'm really enjoying my new kitchen! S mentioned that Little Bit's tics might have been so bad last week because of all the commotion of the renovation and the not eating at the table and just the general schedule disruption. Duh. I had not even thought of that. I bet that was it.

OK. Play break is over. Gotta get back to work. Carrie, I hope you are enjoying my DAILY posting.

6 comments:

  1. Not only does he have dreds, but he's sporting an increasingly larger bald spot and receding hair line! Now, that's an interesting "I'm really 45 but want to stay a young alternative 20-something" look! We actually saw Counting Crows in concert (like, 10 years ago) and our seats were in the balcony, and I remember getting a good view of the top of his bald spot!

    That's my random comment for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's just sad. He's probably pulling his hair bald getting those hair extensions for 10 years!!! He could totally have his own dreds by now if he had started growing his hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOOP WHOOP SUPER BLOGGER GIRL!!!

    We are skippers of youth group also, I have beautiful girlhood but have never gotten it out- guess I should, My Kate has already laid aside the dolls (although to be honest she has never been the same kindof of player as Sweetheart!)

    Yeah on the shower-- such a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering how you plan on not being in youth group? We have a 13 year old boy and he is in youth group and we do not love the influence. We do not have the option of a church without a youth group in our small town. I would love to hear any advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassi, first of all, I do not believe that participating in youth group is a sin. But I also do not see it as ideal. I am SURE there are some churches where I might feel comfortable letting my girls go to youth group, but I don't know of any right now. There are not very many churches who do not have a youth program, but they do exist. Even if we went to a church with a youth program, I believe our girls just might go to class with us. Honestly, we aren't sure what we are going to do---only that youth group where we currently are is not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To transition from girlhood to young lady and skip the 'teen' thing - just don't accept any behaviour that is 'teenager'. Be on guard, and don't palm any attitude off as, "Oh she's just . . . " (Tired, pmsing, hungry, etc.) Nip it in the bud.

    I'm with you - no teenagers here.

    Youth group - ew!!!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)