Monday, January 18, 2010

The Secret to Organization

I think I've found it!

Sister moved to a new house this weekend so Mom and Dad and I shared the responsibility of keeping her girls during the move. My parents picked them up from school on Friday and kept them two nights (they came to my house to play during the day some) and last night they slept here. I'm taking them to the their new house this morning.

So, Sunday nights at our house go like this: We feed the girls a snack at 4:00 or so and a little after 5:00, we all leave for the church. S leads Bible study at our church on Sunday nights so he has to set up tables, make coffee, copies, etc. I teach the children on Sunday nights so I have to set up, make copies, get my supplies together, etc. There just isn't enough time to eat supper beforehand so we usually end up getting fast food on the way home because it's nearly 8:00 by the time we eat on Sunday nights.

But YESTERDAY, because I had four kids with me, I spent my afternoon cooking and chopping everything for Chipotle-at-home burritos and putting all the ingredients in little bowls. Everything was in the fridge waiting for us when we got home. I also set the table before we left, had the girls lay out their pajamas, and had all the beds ready.

So, the secret to organization? Have more kids.

It'll instantly force you to get more organized.

What do you think of my theory? :)

Today, I'll be feeding all four of them, overseeing dressing and hair, enforcing toy pick-up, packing them to go home, and then driving them there. (It's about an hour away) The house will probably be cold since the power hasn't been turned on yet so we need to dress in layers. My goal is just to help sister get stuff ready enough that they can smoothly walk out the door for work/school tomorrow morning.

So we get the day off of school like everyone else although I had not planned to take it. I haven't heard any complaints.

OK--my newly organized self is off to shower and begin this long, arduous, process of suppressing the giggling and screaming so that productivity can reign.

11 comments:

  1. *snort* ROTFL! Good thing I don't drink coffee or it would have flown out my nose when you suggested the secret to organization is having more kids. I'll refrain from further comment ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (OK, I will concede that having more children does actually require more organization, and necessity is often the mother of invention, however, it doesn't often come naturally!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that would only work for a few days....and then things would probably just get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I TOTALLY AGREE, Brenda! The same phenomenon has happened around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the more kids the more organized. Also, remember the 19th is tomorrow!!! You know what that means!
    I want to have another baby or two or three. I'm completely down with up to 8 kids. Even if some of them are like Big boy : )
    ha-ha !
    Good luck with the girls today, the amount of squealing and giggling is definitely doubled! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, but I don't think having more kids will make someone more organized. But you are on to something with the preparations. Good routines do make for smooth days. Having company may motivate you - I don't know what would motivate me to stick to my routines on a regular basis, but when I do, I feel more organized.

    Cheryl from My Thoughtful Spot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, from someone with more than a few kids, I can say unequivocally that you are on to something.

    As you know, we had a long stretch of time (11 years) between our first 4 kids, and our most recent 2. It didn't take me long to figure out that the more people you have to plan for, the sooner you need to prepare.

    Now you could just be proactive and be more organized with your two, but it's easier to fall back into bad habits that way because you can.

    So I vote for more babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK--having more kids would NECESSITATE more organization. How about that?

    For example, we have 2 kids. We don't need to have a "system" to deal with shoes. They have a place to put them and we tell them to go get them when it's time to go. Sometimes someone can't find them but with 2 kids and 2 parents, it's not the end of the world. One goes out to start the car and the other helps look. :)

    Now moms of multiples? They have to have a system. And schedules. And lots of other things that I simply don't need because there are ONLY 2.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You crack me up!

    Hey, you could always PRETEND you have more kids. As many as you wanted. Then when you actually get down to the real preparation it will take way LESS time because you really only have two. Maybe you just need the psychology behind it. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I set up baby dolls and teddy bears at the table or is that just creepy?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, every time we have another kid, we have to be more organized about stuff than the last time. I've had three in two years and it's almost like having triplets with the amount of work and organization involved.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)