Saturday, January 23, 2010

Diary of a Room Makeover: Cheap Wall Art

I remember when I decorated Little Bit's nursery. I spent under $2.00 on the pictures. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever spent more than a few bucks on things to hang on the wall---they are just too easy to do cheaply.
I set out to make a picture for the girls' new room today using these pieces of scrapbook paper. All three sheets were between $1-$2. I don't remember exactly, but scrapbook paper is cheap.
But before we get to that, let's walk down memory lane. When Sweetheart was all done with her nursery decor at about age 4, I made her a princess room. It was based on this blanket that my mom made.
That is still her favorite blanket, by the way. Anyway, I took the colors from that blanket and made her a princess room, as requested. But something in me just couldn't DO Disney Princesses everywhere. It was just so....commercial.

So I made these. Actually, I told Sister what I was thinking and she drew the stencil for me. This is Belle and Aurora .
And these are Jasmine and Cinderella.
Well, the hair and dress colors are anyway! Thanks for walking down memory lane with me. Sigh. My sweet little 4 year old baby. But the reason I got these frames down from the closet is for the new wall art.

First, I googled an image I liked and swiped it right off the 'ol internet. It's best if you google "______ stencil" because the simple black lines are easier to work with than a detailed picture.
Then I cut out all the pieces and began tracing them onto my scrapbook paper.


Next I cut them all out and erased any left-over pencil marks.


Since I had painted the mats for the princess pictures, I had to paint over the mat with the new color.

Then I just used a glue stick to glue it all in place and a pink sharpie to add details.

Cheap and beautiful!

7 comments:

  1. Very adorable! I appreciate and am blessed by your creativity! (I found you through blogger via a homeschooling search). Blessings in Christ, KATHY at A Field Lily or Field Notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea, I've been looking for stuff for my boys! This looks like a great idea, except I'll probably just do their names on scrapbook paper or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Sigh, I have so much I want to do.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I bet you could take orders and start a business with those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Brenda!! Love the stencil idea. Never tried it myself, but I'll maybe have to try now...

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)