Thursday, August 25, 2011

I Have Never Decluttered

It hit me last night. I have never actually decluttered. What I have done, is get rid of stuff. I have. Bags and bags of stuff have left this house. But I only ever get rid of just enough. And I don't think that's the real definition of decluttering.

See, we've been looking at those cute little homes near the beach. We know for sure that one day we want a smaller house than what we have now. Smaller and fewer things. Our house right now is just a smidge too big. Really, I like this house. But we have way too much stuff. So apparently, 1500 something square feet is too big for us.
Even when it's picked up...stuff, stuff, everywhere!
Anyway, in thinking about actually moving that close to the hurricanes beach,  it has occurred to me that I will NOT want to be dealing with tons of stuff. I will want to be able to pack up and evacuate easily. I will want to be able to fit those things that are precious into plastic tubs and slip them in the truck and go.

I will want to be more free.
Home stagers say clearing your fridge off makes a big difference. Huh.
I will want to worry less. I will want to have it down to it just being stuff. Replaceable stuff that we need in order to live. Like this $20 garage sale couch I'm sitting on. The other day one of the girls spilled yogurt all over it. Didn't bother me at all. We cleaned it up. But I was thinking how differently I would have reacted if we had purchased a new (expensive, over-priced) couch. I don't want to be like that. I want to react like I did with the yogurt and this used couch.


Things don't matter.

So that's why it hit me that I have never really decluttered. I remove enough stuff that the cabinet doors close. I get rid of enough that the room looks tidier. I toss the obviously ruined, broken, or worn-out items.

But I don't get rid of stuff that we don't need. As long as I find a neat little place for it---it stays. Most all of it.

I wonder what would happen if I really went through this house and just got rid of stuff we don't need. I don't even mean decorative little things sitting around doing nothing. I mean those things in our closets and cabinets and shelves. Do you know I have not missed one single thing I got rid of from our homeschool room? I got rid of a LOT of stuff and I haven't missed it one bit. Don't even need it! It hasn't affected our school day at all! So why did I have it for so long?


I think I truly get the definition of decluttering now. And I think I will like the way it will feel to really be that free. To see my kitchen counter tops. To spend less time moving, cleaning, and fussing with stuff.

Watch out world. The thrift stores are about to get really lucky.

3 comments:

  1. I like to leave some drawers/shelves empty. I feel better just knowing that I haven't used every square inch of space in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO BRENDA! You can do it! Just finished my kitchen and how lovely to have SPACE on the shelves. Just imagine that you're moving to a place with fewer cabinets - what will you get rid of?

    Off to do my master bathroom - yikes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this gives me encouragement. I don't get rid of anything if I have a place for it. That's something to think about. We, too, have entirely too much stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)