Saturday, June 16, 2007

Some Eyes On Me

Admittedly, not ALL eyes are on me--I'm not delusional. But I was thinking this morning that I have a kind of new responsibility. As our family is striving to be a godly family, we have made some big changes. Some of these changes: homeschooling, me quitting work to be a homemaker, my girls and I wearing dresses more often even when no one else is, being submissive to my husband...are noticeable. What I mean is, people who know us could be looking at our family.

They may be thinking, "What is up with them lately?" but I feel a sort of responsibility. I want them to see the Lord in our lives. I want them to see the joy that following God can bring (even through hard times). I want them to see that there is something different about us.

Now you may not think we are really exceptional at all. Let me give you some perspective from my part of the world. Several years ago I began watching the specials on TV about the Duggar Family. I was completly amazed by this family! I couldn't figure out why they impressed me so much. Then I realized: everything they do, they have a reason why they do it in scripture. I certainly couldn't say that! We had just sort of been moving through our life with not much thought for what God wanted us to do. Study scripture and then pattern your life after what you learn? Interesting.

There are many, many people watching the Duggars. Especially since they have been on TV so much. Don't you know that some people would just rejoice if they saw a news story about Mrs. Duggar snapping and slapping a few of her kids around in the grocery store? They want to prove that they are just crazy people with too many kids. If they saw the Duggars do something really bad, then that would prove that God does not make a difference in lives.

The point is, ALL of us have a circle of influence. I want those watching us to see the Lord.

Now, we certainly do not have as many folks watching us as the Duggars do, but there are families we know who are watching. We are the only homeschooling family at our church. People will be interested in that. Since I was the church secretary, everyone at church will know that I am staying home to take care of my family. My husband works with our church youth group, so the teens always get to see us and how we relate to one another.

1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual[a] act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:1-2

May God be with us as we live our new lives in front of our friends and family. And may He get all the glory.

2 comments:

  1. I was really encouraged (and convicted) by your post today. One of the things that I have to be careful of is how I portray being a mother and wife to those closest to me.

    On another note, maybe those pillowcase dresses will be a great outreach tool for you. That is a wonderful sewing skill to teach others that are interested in teaching their daughters about modesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful.
    I pray that you would stand strong in your convictions and that the Lord would have the glory!!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)