Thursday, June 14, 2007

Good Housekeeping

One more day and I become a homemaker full time!

Homemakers, in my childhood concept of them, can sew. My mom was a homemaker until I was in 4th grade, and she can sew better than anyone I know. I never even owned a store-bought dress until probably high school. She sewed most all of our clothes and hand-me-downs supplied the rest. Since I was the youngest child in the family AND the youngest cousin, I had NO end of hand-me-downs. I'm not sure they were really so much in style by the time I got to them, but that is another topic.

Now that I am an adult, I know better than to think that everyone can sew. I, for example, although related to one of the world's best seamstresses, can only sew those items which have straight edges. You know, pillows, curtains...basically anything in the shape of a square or rectangle. I also don't share my mom's need for perfection in sewing. If it stays together and the mistakes don't actually show--it's good!

So as far as my daughters are concerned, I let Grandma provide the beautiful clothes. She makes them dresses, shorts, capris, coats, slips, even pajamas. I, on the other hand, provide the curtains.

It's the least I can do.

And since we moved into this house 8 months ago, I have managed to sew curtains for 2 rooms. I have many more plans for square and rectangular shaped objects around here. One is a beautiful duvet cover for Sweetheart's room. It's going to be gorgeous because after all, it's really just a large rectangle that you lay on the bed. I was feeling guilty that I hadn't started on that yet. She's been waiting a long time for her "new" room. But THEN, I clicked over to Everyday Mommy and what do I want to do now?

That's right--decorate my sewing area. Because how can I be expected to sew lovely rectangles for my family in such dreary surroundings as this? Clearly, some decor is needed. Just look at the beautiful rooms my fellow bloggers work in! My sister found some old patterns (in the picture above) that I can frame and hang above my sewing machine. That's a start. Of course, that's after I paint. And organize some more.

And then I PROMISE I'll go back to sewing lovely rectangles for my family. Just like any good homemaker would.

2 comments:

  1. That is so wonderful that your mother sewed almost all your clothes!! I wish...
    One of the things I want to learn is to sew better. Like you, I can sew straight stiches. I'd love to sew my children's clothes.
    I am looking forward to seeing your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you that you're getting ready to be home where you want to be!

    Your post made me laugh! I'm not the most talented seamstress, either, and I definitely live by the "if it sticks together and the mistakes don't show" rule!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)