Monday, June 25, 2007

It's Starting To Make Sense

I have been trying to get a handle on how to do Bible when we are homeschooling. It's not that I really want a curriculum per se, it's just that I need some guidance. Where do I start? How do I teach a Bible lesson that's appropriate for both a 7 year old and a 3 year old? Do we do an activity or craft with each lesson? Or do we just, you know, read it? How is our "homeschool Bible time" different from that which we would do as a family (like a family devotional)?

Obviously this is new territory for me.

This morning I laid the girls' chorepacks on the table while they were eating breakfast. Sharp as they are, they knew what that meant and the whining commenced. I first pointed out to Sweetheart that Little Bit is actually learning to whine about these from her. First lesson. Then I started letting them know that I could make the chores harder if they liked or would they like to keep them the same as they are now. Threats. And then it hit me...what about God's Word?

So while we ate breakfast I looked up 2 verses and read them aloud. Here they are:

Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth. Proverbs 10:4

and

She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. Proverbs 31:17

I gave a quick explanation of these two verses and answered all of Sweetheart's questions about what certain words meant. That's all. Her attitude changed immediately and she ran off to do her chores. Hmmm.

Now this only works because the Bible means something to her. So, now I understand how God's Word can be used for instruction without any formal preparation at all. I need to use it as we go through the day. I may not always stop and look up the verse. I can send her to look up a verse. I can just tell her "the Bible says..." or I can say, "This reminds me of a Bible story." This will make the Bible a relevant part of her day. Man! I could never do this as well if she were at school all day!

But I still need to get a grasp on how to start our day with Bible learning. The kind where we sit down together and open the Bible. I'm still working on that one, but at least this is all starting to make sense. Anyone have some suggestions for me?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head when you said you need to be teaching them about the Bible during the course of the day when things come up. That's when it will make the most sense to them.

    But you can also make Bible study a part of your school. We did that from K-12. We used different curricula depending on our needs. The most important thing is that you take the time....and we always did it first as it's a great way to start the school day :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I humbly suggest you take a look at the Pictures from Proverbs button on my sidebar? It will take you to the Ornament Publication website; click on the Picture from Proverb button there too.

    These cards and accompanying coloring books are a wonderful way to teach some select proverbs...There's the scripture for memorization, followed by a simple explanation, a story from scripture that illustrates the proverb, and finally some comprehension questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh! Thank you for the suggestion. And it's so affordable! That might be a great place for us to start. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)