Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Easing Into Homeschooling

I understand the concept of de-schooling as it pertains to giving kids a break from all things school-like. However, when you have a child like mine, who LOVED school, it's not quite as necessary. Still, I thought that the summer would give enough of a break. While there are some things she did not like about school, Sweetheart is pretty much like me: she breaks out in a cold sweat in the school supply aisle.

In fact, she's been asking to start school ever since I told her about it. I told her we would do some lessons this summer-but school doesn't start until August. Enter: the A Beka Art Book! At the private school she attended last year they never touched their art books and since the parents had purchased them, they got sent home at the end of the year. Perfect! I bought the 3 year old version for Little Bit and we were in business. Almost every day we have sat down at the kitchen table with our art books and done a project together. It's easy. It's fun. And they are getting used to me working with both of them at the same time (patience!). Little Bit is learning to follow the directions and that she doesn't do everything her sister does. Sweetheart and I are having a good time together, unlike homework sessions during the school year. I think it's a great way to ease into all this.

I also throw a science, social studies, or Bible lesson in every now and then. We are working on our summer schedule of eating at regular times, doing chores, rest time at the same time each day, etc. By the time school starts the need for a stricter schedule shouldn't come as such a shock. I still have a hard time picturing how all this will work, but these little steps we are taking sure help.

Oh, and being home? It's the best! I can take care of my husband, our children, and our home. Not just in my spare time either. It's my main job! It's so nice to wake up knowing that I will be able to take care of the things that need to be done that day. And my girls have become playmates! I'm not saying they don't ever fight, but I have seen them getting along so much better now that we are all home together during the day. Little Bit walks in the room several times a week and says, "Sissy, we friends?"

I think I like the way the Lord laid out all these plans for the family (husband as the head, wife as the helper and keeper at home, children learning from their parents as they go through the day...). What a difference from our life 4 years ago!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are ready to go!! Yay! I love the start of a new year! We are starting back a full schedule in August too!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)