Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I Looked It Up

Isn't that what you are supposed to do when you want to know something?


Last week or maybe the week before that, who can remember, I asked you all "What does reverence in worship look like?"

We had a little conversation in the comments section about it. It's still been on my mind. Maybe part of it is because we visited at a church on Sunday with a much different "worship style" than our own church. The difference was stark.

No, it's been on my mind for weeks and weeks now. Reverence in worship. Are we reverent in the way we act/behave/approach the Lord during church?

Well, it turns out I was asking a redundant question.

Merriam-Webster defines worship (n) this way: Reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power.

For Bible words, we like to use Webster's 1828 dictionary. Just to see if meanings have changed. Here is what the old Webster's said about worship (v): To adore; to pay divine honors to; to reverence with supreme respect and veneration.

Everywhere we looked, the word worship was directly tied to reverence. In fact, one might argue it is the definition of it.

So it turns out I was asking a dumb question. And yes, worship is a way of life. It is how we live. It is not a song service.

I think these definitions really drive that home.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. When I read the psalms I see worship through singing, playing instruments, bowing down, dancing, lifting hands and shouting. Psalm 51:17 says that the sacrifice (an act of worship) God desires is a contrite heart. So, it seems, it is all about the heart and that reverence can look, on the outside, many different ways.

    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being one of few who understand that 'worship' is not only music. Such a tiny view of what it all entails!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)