Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Will Never Feel Like a Bad Mom Again

We all have those days. One of those days where you feel like you are NOT on your best game in the mothering department. For whatever reason. Today wasn't one of those days for me, it's just that I know them well.

But life is not made up of little bad moments--it's not even made up of bad days. It's bigger than that.

Tonight when I was tucking Sweetheart in bed (in the messy house, with very little groceries, non updated checkbook, etc.), she told me:

S: Mommy, Shannon told me she stayed up until 1:00 in the morning.

(Shannon, not her real name, is a friend who is about 8 months older than Sweetheart.)

M: She probably did.

S: Why?

M: Well honey, remember that Shannon's Mommy and Daddy are divorced? Well, Shannon's Mommy has a new boyfriend and I think she spends a lot of time with her boyfriend.

S: And she smokes. So does Shannon's sister.

M: I know.

S: So why did she stay up until 1:00?

M: Well, Shannon lives with her sister and it's not her job to take care of her (she's in college) and her Mommy. And I think her Mommy goes to work, and then spends time with her boyfriend, and....

S: And no one takes care of Shannon?

M: Well, I'm sure her Mommy does take care of her...but...um....not like....

S: Not like you would take care of me?

M: (smiling) Right. Not like I would take care of you.

Then she sat up and hugged me.

Man, I love that girl.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and in that second... that is EVERYTHING... WE need nothing more!

    I am so glad you got a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sad for Shannon that you even are a witness to this situation...

    ... but so blessed by you sharing the love that your Sweetheart gave you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So did she then ask if SHE could stay up until 1 AM? I thought that's where this was going for a minute.

    So sad. Wish life were different, but parents are selfish people too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I was one of those Shannons. And my kids are like yours. I love that God can redeem and restore and bring His joy where there was once suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ((sigh)) Shannon here, too. But, I never had a friend with a mommy like Sweetheart's. May God richly bless this potential ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me want to cry. There are to many Shannon's in this world.

    So glad you had your sweet moment. They really are wonderful.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)