Saturday, May 14, 2011

Failure Is Not an Option

Well, my magnificent plan to get everyone tired so they would fall asleep at a decent hour failed. Sweetheart fell asleep between 9:30-10:00. Too late for me. She always reads in bed, but she's usually asleep by 9:30 and that's actually too late also. She's been sleeping later in the mornings and I don't want to get into that routine.

Of course, it probably has been difficult to get to sleep in our house what with all the screaming at bedtime. I've learned that just because Little Bit had a great tic-free day, that has nothing to do with bedtime. Sigh. She fell asleep a little after 10:00.

So my new plan is to just wake them up earlier each day by about 10 or 15 minutes until we are back to getting up at a decent hour. I will not fail!

Other than that, I'm grocery shopping today. Doing laundry. Cleaning a bit. All the really exciting things 40 year old moms do with their Saturdays. It's funny but it never occurred to me growing up that my parents would WANT to be doing anything different than what they were doing. I mean, I knew sometimes my dad wasn't in the mood to go to work....but they seemed really content sewing and mowing the yard and watching the news. They were parents, for goodness sake. I wonder if they ever just wanted to wake up on a Saturday and go to the mall, see a movie, go shopping, go out out to eat, go to the beach, etc. (You know, my former Saturdays)

But those days, while nice, bite you in the butt because when you get home you still have laundry, and dishes, and grocery shopping and bills to pay. I need to have a talk with teenagers because they think they have it bad but really, it's us 40 year old moms who need to be complaining.

Don't you think? If they don't believe me, I'll offer to switch weekends with them sometime.

As long as I have a car.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya!! It would be nice to just take a whole day off...if you could take the next day off too, to catch up on the responsibilities that were shirked on your off day:) Aaahh...this is the season that God has us in though. And, in 10 years, I'm sure it'll be a different season:)
    I'll keep you in my prayers for the sleep situation. I hope you enjoyed your Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)