Friday, July 23, 2010

Fitness Friday: What Are You Focusing On?

Won't you please enjoy my green and blue template? The Cutest Blog on the Block was having some issues this week so I just quickly switched to a blogspot template for the time being.

I'm so encouraged that many of you wanted to jump in with Fitness Friday again! Yeah you! If you wrote a FF post, just link up at the bottom of this post. Or, as usual, feel free to jump in the comments section as well.

MY FOCUS

Obviously, my focus for the past 2 weeks has been my husband's recent diabetes diagnosis. I can honestly say that I did not understand anything about the disease before that. Talk about a crash course! I am happy to report that his blood sugar is down to the 110-125 range which is amazing for only 1 1/2 weeks of medicine/diet changes. Very soon the doctor said we may have to decrease his medicine, which I think is good news.

So I had this little goal for the month of July to get my 30 meals list finished, the cards printed, and the spreadsheet made. I started all of that--and then we got slammed with the big D. :) So a lot of my recipes are not going to be good for the 30 meals list. (Pasta addicts anyone?) So.....I will just have to work on that at a slower pace. I made a Farmhouse Casserole yesterday that was diabetic friendly and received 3 out of 4 thumbs up at the House Revised. It's going on the list. I'll just have to keep trying new things.

Our snack life has also changed. Goodbye Little Debbie's and knock-off brand chocolate chip cookies. Hello fruit. Listen, I know none of this is earth-shattering or news to me. It's just that we finally received the kick in the pants we needed to DO what we know we should have been doing all along. I was reading my Bible this morning--a rare occurrence. I was thinking to myself, "Maybe all those women who say it sets their day off right to read in the morning are right." And I've known that all along too. Why am I just now doing the things that I know to do?

Lazy and mule-headed comes to mind.

Anyway I'm not spending so much time researching on the internet now. I think I'm starting to get the hang of what he can and cannot eat. I will continue to search for diabetic friendly recipes however. Gotta get my 30 meals done so I can have an easy meal-planning year. My dream!

Oh, and I'm happy to report that I have already lost several pounds since last week!

So, what are you focusing on lately?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Brenda! That is great news, both about your DH's blood sugar and your weight loss. Great job!!! I know I'd be totally overwhelmed, but it sounds like you've grabbed the bull by the horns and are handling it pretty well. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That farmhouse casserole sounds pretty good! I can relate completely to the snacking issue. It's not a good thing that every time we drive by McDonalds, my daughter perks up and says "chocolate chip cookies!". Eek.

    Well done on the nutrition front, Brenda. Erin said it perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pats on the back for you, Brenda! Way to take this challenge head on and succeed! So excited about S's lower numbers and your pounds lost! Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad about the diagnisis. That really would change your life.

    Yes, Cutest Blog on the Block is down for maintainance, so I lost my background, too. Maybe it is only temporary.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)