Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Casually Feminine: Accessories

Did you enjoy my catchy title? Good.

I have had two accessories in my lifetime that were my absolute favorite. Whenever I added them to my outfit, no one was looking at me or my clothes or my hair or anything. If you have any flawed spots that you would prefer no one see, I highly recommend adding these to your accessory collection.
I find them harder to carry around these days.

And without a cute baby on your hip, you are so....vulnarable, so....naked, so....exposed. I mean, how am I supposed to keep my stomach sucked in all the time?

OK seriously. I'll tell you the truth, if it were up to me I would carry no purse. It is a necessary evil and I buy a new one every 5 years or so whether I need to or not. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. In the summers I prefer to find a cute bag to carry around. I used to use the excuse of "well, we are past the need for a diaper bag, but these are so easy to throw a pull up and a juice cup in" but we are past that too. I like this one at Target. Or this one. I don't carry HUGE bags, but more the size of purses.

As far as jewelry goes, I wear earrings. I usually only wear them to church or if we are "going somewhere." (Giovanna, clearly your house doesn't count since you told me you've never seen me wear any!) I do like bracelets and will wear those to church. My wedding ring doesn't fit right now, and I'm completely out of the habit of wearing other jewelry. I used to--when I went to work. I haven't worn a watch in 10 years. I am whatever the opposite of flashy is.

Make-up? See above.

Shoes. Let's see---for summer I have tennis shoes, flip flops, and sandals. If we are home I usually do wear shoes simply because we have laminate flooring and it hurts to walk around barefoot all day. I keep my toes painted but suffer from a severe lack of pedicures. On that note, I do not paint my fingernails and my nails are quite short. I do not understand how a woman can work around the house all day and keep long nails. If you can do that, feel free to explain it to me.

Here's the thing: I am not an accessories kind of girl. I don't need "extra" stuff to mess with. I know my husband doesn't prefer a lot of fussiness, so that works out well. I do not think accessories are a sin! I know some women who do a fine job of accessorizing and it makes them look lovely. I do know the Bible says our beauty should not come from those things. Still, if I knew a bit more about how to accessorize well, it would probably be good. Perhaps some of you can teach me.

I feel I've been a terrible lot of help today.

You're welcome.

And here's a question......is there such thing as "casual accessories"? If so, what are they? Do "sunglasses as a headband" count?

Join in the discussion with us and enlighten me on this whole accessories thing ladies!

8 comments:

  1. Babies as accessories to control the midsection - LOVE THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, really now. I don't have to write my post because you have done it all for me. This is me.... down to the buying a purse every 5 years, carrying the baby on my hip to hide my flaws, the wedding ring that doesn't fit, desperately needing a pedicure, short nails, sunglasses as a headband. Really, you have covered it all for me.

    So. Apparently you won't be asking me for advice on accessories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not an accessory girl on the whole, but I do have a few pieces that I can use to dress up my outfits when I go to church.

    On a daily basis I have a simple pair of gold hoops that I always wear, my wedding ring, a simple gold chain with my birthstone that was one of the first gifts my husband bought me. That's it.

    Like you,I am in desperate need of a pedicure. I don't like nail polish excpet for in the rare instance that I get a french maincure which happens maybe once every two years. As you know, a woman's hands age a bit sooner than the rest of her and I think colored nails accentuate that for me.

    My cellphone is my clock,though I'mthinking of buying a watch. I carry the same ourse forseveralyears,just like you and Karly.

    All that to say I have no real accessory advice to offer, though I do enjoy accessorizing a little when I dress up.

    I don't know how much help you'll get today, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think cute sun glasses as a head band are an accessory!
    They can look so cute : )

    I also haven't worn a watch in years, but even when I worked and "needed" to , I hated them. I just am not into watches, I would rather just ask the time

    I have seen you wear earrings though, that time you came to the house and immediately took them off and left them here counts : )

    I am a purse junkie. I have probably 30 or so purses. It's an addiction and I speak to my therapist about it often. ; )
    I used to be a shoe junkie, but then after having such problems with my feet I have reverted to the "mom" shoe attire of tennis shoes. All together I probably have about 20 different pairs of shoes.

    I don't have a cell phone and don't ever plan on having one. I actually hate them. I don't like the idea of people being able to call you whenever and where ever they want. What can I say, I am an isolationist at heart. Plus, I can't stand talking on the phone.

    I haven't done my fake nails in a while cause of the diaper changing and gardening here lately but I do usually have long nails.

    I have a girlfriend who got a tattoo when she was 18 and thought it was an accessory back then. Now it's just sad and you can hardly tell what it used to be, some people have even asked her what happened to her ankle cause it looks black and swollen, she just tells them, "I had a stupid attack back when I was 18 and I have to live with it for the rest of my life"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love earrings. I wear them almost every day. A watch too. Can't stand to be without it! I am like you in that I find a purse I love and use it until it wears out. Then it takes forever to find a replacement.

    I'm not much on bracelets though. Signing all the time makes them clank around and that gets on my nerves. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your accessories in the picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My blog has been hijacked, so if you get weird comments from "me" know that it wasn't me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your accessories!!! I have never thought of them that way but it is soooo true!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)