Friday, September 19, 2008

What a Difference a Week Makes

Last Friday--evacuated and doing school at my parent's "country home." Waiting for the storm to hit at home. Watching hours and hours of news coverage. The only highlight was Geraldo. The house was picked up and boarded up and husband had driven 6 hours to be with us the night before.

This Friday--home but no school all week. I know, I know--the public schools didn't have a choice and I did. I think I chose wisely because I've gotten a lot of stuff done around the house! The house is un-boarded and almost put back together. Husband is finally back at work thanks to generators.

It's been a whirlwind! I feel guilty having power when so many don't. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law came over to wash clothes yesterday. They aren't projected to get power anytime soon. Ug.

We also invited a friend and her little boy over to play yesterday--in the light and air conditioning! She can't go back to work until the daycare gets power. I don't know how parents are able to go back to work when schools are not open yet. Talk about a rock and a hard place!

We haven't ventured out to a store yet although many more are opening every day--some without power only selling non-perishables. We would have had to go get a few things on Thursday but my parents got back into town bringing groceries with them. We feel like we have such an abundance of food now! Even Sweetheart, viewing the things Grandma and Grandpa brought home said, "Mom! There's so much food!" Ah, perspective.

We were planning to get rid of cable on the 15th of this month. New budget requirements and all. Anyway, after living with only 1 channel for a few days, and not watching many kids shows all last week because it was always on the news...when our local PBS station came on, Sweetheart was overjoyed! Again, after living without....even little things seem like blessings.

So, we've had a lot of good lessons this week in living with less and what really matters.

And now? I noticed Sonic was open and I am going to get a beverage. And then try to find the homeschool room under all the junk. So maybe we could have school around here next week.

7 comments:

  1. It is kind of refreshing to have a change in perspective, isn't it? Just last month, the houses 1 mile down the road were on 30 minute evacuation notice because of a wildfire 3 miles from our house. I was so thankful that I never needed to figure out what to do with our livestock. (Some neighbors even had to harvest their fields a few weeks early) I'm glad to hear that everything is getting back to normal for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thing to have happen in the midst of your organizing frenzy!

    If you were not being so generous with your power, I would understand feeling guilty. Praise God you have it - someone who is selfless - so others who don't can still benefit!

    Oh, and Geraldo - I missed that happening, but we caught him a little bit later in the evening. That man can talk - A LOT!!! I think the wind speed went up about 30 mph just during his reports!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! The Geraldo fall WAS pretty funny. Glad things are getting back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He also made a comment about "look at all this flotsam and jetsam around here." That one nearly killed me.

    Most of us call it "debris." But my family found ways all weekend to fit "flotsam and jetsam" into our conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, I needed the Geraldo laugh, I some how missed that! I might have to blog it!

    I have worked on cleaning things out too! I have 4 trashbags full right now! I will keep working, as all previous engagements have been ...put on hold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're back up and running...mostly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like I missed a lot with this whole Geraldo thing.

    Glad things are getting back to normal. Could you imagine if you weren't homeschooling? Phew!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)