Thursday, September 4, 2008

How Did I Ever Find Time To Work?

I have a confession. I used to be one of those people who thought of stay at home moms, "What could she possibly do all day?"

I'm sorry. I didn't know, OK?

I really and truly thought that there was no way a person who did not have to get up and go to work every day could ever feel stress.

Surprise! I was wrong.

But it's better, this being home. Oh yes it is. I don't worry about the safety of my children. I don't worry how I'm going to get to them if an emergency arises. I know what they've been doing all day. I can help my husband.

But that isn't the point of this post.

The point is, I'm BUSY! I have big plans for this house and even those sicko readers who don't struggle with clutter have been very supportive of my decluttering efforts. I know I haven't snapped any pictures but that's because I haven't accomplished a whole lot. Except in my mind. I love our house and I mostly love living 3 doors down from my parents. But I must admit I daydream about moving to a smaller house with a much smaller payment. What a relief that would be in so many ways. But, that is never going to happen until we have less stuff!

So, job #1: decluttering.

I'm trying to get some sewing done lately, both for Christmas presents and to (hopefully) set up an Etsy shop. A little income is needed so I'll see what I can do to help.

So, job #2: sewing.

My beautiful 9 year old daughter is in 3rd grade this year and 3rd grade is taking a bit more out of us than 2nd grade did. We breezed through 2nd grade. I'm kind of glad we started there! She isn't finding everything in school to be "fun" anymore and that's OK. We have to do hard things sometimes. But I'm trying hard to make school wonderful. And Little Bit is off-again, on-again in her interest with school. Some days she doesn't even wander into the school room. I have to be ready for her when she does though because she'll work for 3 hours if she's interested! I really love teaching my girls at home.

So, job #3: homeschooling.

And there's cooking, meal planning, laundry, paying bills, reading to/spending time with the girls, Bible study, helping my husband, errands, ironing, etc. etc. etc.

None of these are listed in any special order. You know that, right? And no way is that a complete list. I have no idea how I managed to get up and leave for work at 6:30 every morning and still have a life.

And I am thankful every. single. day.

5 comments:

  1. I have often wondered the same thing myself! Great post. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be a SAHM so bad. I have prayed for God to open the door. I have told my children that when they get married to keep their income seperate and to not count on it and that way when they have children they can stay at home and not miss their income.
    Oh how I long for the life you have. But I deal well with working outside of the home. I am blessed in many ways...you can visit my blog sometime and look back in the archives and see some of the ways I try to compensate.
    My company recenty offered a severens package and I was so tempted. And we could have swung it but it would have meant hubby giving up some of his big boy toys and he just isn't willing to do that right now. And until he sees the benefits I have to keep on keeping on :-) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously love how much you appreciate being a SAHM! How fortunate we are to have husbands who value it as much as we:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I wonder why I'm so tired some days. Thanks for putting it into print - I think I'm going to take a nap!:)

    BTW - I thought of you the other day. While I can't say you inspired me to declutter and clean (pretty much looking at the chaos gave me that inspiration), I thought about how I wasn't the only one sick of it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been blessed to be a SAHM mom and have an appreciation for those mom who do "have" to work. I dont always comprehend those who do just becasue they want to...

    I know I am tired too! But we will press on and finish our race! we just got back from the grocery store and getting a ton of groceries had lunch and are just about to start school... the priveledge of home schooling!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)