Monday, March 19, 2007

What Does It Look Like?

This quest for a godly home began some time ago. God has worked and moved in ways that we only pieced together later. One thing that really got us to thinking was when I observed that most of the Christian families we know do not look any different from the families in the world. Except for where we spend our Sunday mornings, there is precious little difference. The differences were mostly in the things we did NOT do--no drinking, no cussing, no partying, etc. But shouldn't our lives stand out more than that? Shouldn't the way we live each day--not just the things we stay away from--look different?

Now to be fair, we know some very godly people. There are people who have been an example to us in the way they live. We just don't find ourselves surrounded by such people on a daily basis. Or, they are so much farther down the road of life than we are that we missed seeing them as young parents. So we find ourselves looking to scripture for our guidance. What does a godly home look like?

Today I had a realization about what it should look like! I'm almost afraid to write it because I feel so inadequate to accomplish this one. I guess I will remember the verse:
9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9, NIV)
Here was my realization: If my home is a godly home, it will be orderly because God is orderly.
33For God is not a God of disorder but of peace. (1 Corinthians 14:33, NIV) What a motivation! I have cleaned my house for many reasons--it needed it, I was embarrassed to have people stop by, to please my husband, because no one else was going to do it, to find something that was lost, etc. But to keep my home in order because that is more like God...now that is a reason!!!
I am incapable of doing it, of course. I will pray and He will provide. Just like always. But this time as order creeps into our home, it will stay because God is making us more like Him every day.

1 comment:

  1. I love this thought! And I too, will be made more perfect in my weakness!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)