Saturday, March 17, 2007

How To NOT Raise Kids

It occurred to me a few years ago that I was not raising kids. We used to live next door to some friends and went through several pregnancies as neighbors. Many things about our lives were the same in those early years. We both dealt with diapers, spitting up, childhood illnesses, milestones, toys all over the house, etc. But later it hit me--we were not engaged in exactly the same task. See, my friend has 2 boys and I have 2 girls. So we are not just raising kids. She is raising godly men and I am raising godly women. Our results will differ greatly, so shouldn't our parenting differ as well?

For my girls to turn into godly young ladies, I have to know how I want them to turn out. That has sent me on a journey to discover what the Bible says about women. THAT has turned up some interesting topics!!!

The thing I'm thinking about these last few days is modesty and being feminine. There is a lot to read on the web about these topics. I'm mulling over all this info and praying about it as well. I intend to talk to husband later when we get a chance. More importantly, what does the Bible have to say?

How should parenting differ for boys and girls? Any comments?

1 comment:

  1. I believe there is a difference. We have to be very careful with teaching independence to boys vs girls. To this date I hate that I was raised to be totally independent. I am not married yet, but partly because of my total independence before coming to Christ. Since then my independence is soley because I have to take care of my family as a single parent, but God is showing me that I can't hold on to it once I am married.

    We must teach girls the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, how to be homemakers, and how to nurture. Society will teach them to think like a man, but with God's help we can raise them to understand and accept that the woman has a place in God's eyes, and she must remain in her place. If not we will raise a generation of daughters that will become aggressive, pushy, conniving, and vindictive because they will be trying to fit in a man's role.
    I find it sad that girls are not being taught that they are to be found, and that they are to remain modest, and that God will beautify the meek with salvation- I could go on and on but I will stop here. Wonderful post!!!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)