Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hello! I am...

My mother-in-law taught across the hall from a friend for years. I do mean years--this lady had taught since Moses was a child (as they say). When this friend retired she gave me boxes of teaching stuff. As a new teacher I was thrilled! Now, most of it was placed in the trash can, but it sure was fun to look through.

One thing that caught my eye was a sign in sheet for an Open House night from the late 50's or early 60's. Each lady had signed her name like this: Mrs. John Smith I thought that was so strange! The only time I had ever been referred to by my husband's name was at the end of our wedding. To not even sign your own first name seemed so strange to me. I know it was customary at that time in society, but there is something more to it.

My husband is in the middle of deciding on a new path for his job/career/ministry. We are praying, but we have no idea where we will end up in a few years. It really doesn't bother me. I am his wife. If he is a minister--then I am a minister's wife. If he is an engineer--then I am an engineer's wife. If he is a carpenter--then I am a carpenter's wife. My place is where he is. My home is where he lives. My role as his wife and helper will not really change, even if the type of help he needs does.

This is not what most women find themselves thinking. I have heard quite the opposite opinion expressed even by Christian women. We have this false idea of our "rights." (I have a right to my own career. I have a right to decide where I want to live. He doesn't have a right to change the plans we have made. Etc.) To tell you the truth, I have not always felt this way either. It is a good place to be. There is peace in doing things God's way. I'm glad to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)