Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Problem With Pants

In our family we are 3/4 girls. Even so, there are far more pants and jeans than dresses in this house. As I have become determined to be a feminine example to my daughters, as well as dress them more femininely, I have realized that we are going to have to do some shopping or sewing. I have lived in jeans since I quit teaching 3 years ago. My daughters and I always wear dresses on Sundays, but that is about it. I overheard one of my daughter's classmates (a 2nd grader) say, "I wouldn't be caught dead in a dress!" She meant it, too! I know there are some girls (and women!) who do not even own a dress. There are far more influences for wearing pants and being tough and being man-like than there are examples of being feminine and lovely and graceful. At least in my circle of the world. Have you seen the new Gap ad on TV? For those of you who don't watch TV, or haven't seen it:

http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=26203&mlink=5058,699163,6&clink=699163

After viewing this commercial the other night my husband said simply, "Therein lies the problem." It is all about influence. The world's influence and expectations are strong--and not just about clothing. There really is a need to purposefully teach our children about God's ways. This means being aware of the influences (however subtle) that war against them. I'm not sure it's enough for me to just be a good example by wearing dresses. I think that would be lopsided combat! It will also take discussions about other clothing we see, reading scripture together, and just plain teaching.

It really isn't just about pants, you know. It's an entire attitude that I need to protect my girls against. I think the Gap ad speaks volumes about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)