Monday, January 17, 2011

I Know I Can Fall Back

For about a week I've been thinking about all kinds of things. For several reasons, I've been thinking that I am not guaranteed 18 years + with my girls. That's a hard thought.

But here's the truth. Mommys sometimes die.
Children sometimes die.

I hate hate hate even thinking about that. But it happens.

I've been homeschooling AND raising my daughters like I'm in a marathon and I've got LOTS of time left before the finish line. But what if I don't?

Here's what I concluded as I looked up at the moon tonight. (The sky was so clear and beautiful and God is just SO big. That's not what I concluded, but it's true.) I concluded that God is in control and He is more than able to help and handle anything that comes up. Anything.

And He gives peace. Knowing Him, and knowing that nothing is too hard for my God, I can rest. I am so glad He is in control.

BUT...that doesn't clear up the part about raising my girls not being a marathon. I'm not saying it's a race or a sprint, but it's somewhere in the middle. Today I felt more purposeful (I hate that word but it's the best one I can think of right now). Sweetheart messed up reading the measurements while making pancakes this morning. OK. She needs to know how to read measurements in order to cook. So, math today did not come from her book. We went over reading whole numbers and fractions. We made Gallon Guy. Right now. Not "I really gotta work on that with her" but now. Done.

Sure there's the part about teaching them instead of just doing it. That's important. Every single day I could teach my girls something new and useful and we could have fun together doing it. But that's not the most important thing.

The most important thing is God's Word. And their faith in Him. THAT is the A #1 thing I must instill in them. Not in 18 years but right now. Today.

Each day home with my children is a gift. I must use each day well. The days get so busy and there are so many things we *want* to do and so many things that *need* to get done.....but what is most important?

What can you do right now? Then why wait? You may very well be blessed with a long life and many, many more years with your children and their children. How will you use those blessings?

I think we need to stop saying, "I really gotta...." and start just doing it. Right then, if possible!

I don't mean to be morbid. Perhaps I'm having a mid-life crisis. But it was important to think about and work through.

To realize that I have the Lord to fall back on is a good thing.
His hope is enough.
His power is more than enough.
His love is too much to even describe.

If you don't have God to fall back on, you need Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)