Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Propaganda At It's Finest

I was so stuck this year. I just did not have any great ideas for our first day of school. None. Last year all our first day activities centered around listening. I just had no ideas this year.

Finally, FINALLY on Sunday afternoon I had an idea. I ran across a Clean Home Unit study and an idea was born.  We read "The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room" on the first day of school. My girls know this book by heart so they colored pictures of Brother Bear and Sister Bear while I read. Then we watched a hilarious home-made video of the book Pigsty. They got a kick out of it.

We started making a lapbook on clean houses and I'll share that with you when we are done. It's one of my professional lapbooks. Don't you just love my propaganda....lesson idea?

Today we covered three of the reasons why we keep a clean house (or why we should, ahem). One reason was "so we can find things when we need them." It was nicely illustrated as I had to call an impromptu recess to tear the house up and find the new credit cards for S as our old one had expired.

Homeschooling keeps you humble.

7 comments:

  1. I think that's a great idea! The great thing about homeschooling is that you can include all of those great life lessons as well ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Propaganda rocks!
    And I wanted to let you know that I have an award for you on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love holy agendas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be so glad when I'm done organizing the new house so I can start keeping it CLEAN. Had to take a break from unpacking today so I could bring it back to a live-able condition. Plus, when I'm done unpacking, I can start decorating!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. That is hilarious. I have not given the kids the "zone notebooks" yet, I wanted to get a week of school so I think I will do it on next Monday, it might be fun to add the messy room unit on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is up? You think you don't have time to update your blog every day just because you are doing school now!? What about your loyal readers??? Ha - just kidding.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was nicely illustrated as I had to call an impromptu recess to tear the house up and find the new credit cards for S as our old one had expired.

    That was priceless! Great post.

    We love the Berenstain Bears.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)