Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Camping We Will Go

Our living room is full of plastic tubs waiting to be loaded up this weekend. It's time for our big vacation of the summer and we are so excited! At least the girls and I are--S has hardly had time to think about camping he's been so busy at work. That means that I have packed us for our excursion. Should be interesting!

We are going with another family, the same family we are beginning the church with. Come to think of it, our entire church will be camping together this weekend. How many people can say that?

S especially deserves this break. He's been working 12-14 hour days for what seems like forever. It will be nice to get to know him again! We are both taking along some books to read. He'll be reading this and I'll be attempting to read this. We have to do something to help control the twitching from having no laptop for 3 days!

Speaking of twitching, Little Bit is pretty excited and her tics have escalated some, but they aren't too bad. With Tourette's, anything stressful, scary, exciting, etc can cause an increase in tics. This week she's been tucking her chin to her chest, spreading her fingers out and holding her hands in front of her with the thumbs touching and looking at her hands (kind of hard to explain that one--it's actually a quick movement) and huffing. It sounds like she's just exhaling hard in bursts of 4 or 5 breaths. We are so used to her tics they usually don't bother us. I do wonder sometimes if they are noticeable to others. It's just her.

Have I told you how much I'm loving http://www.hulu.com/? There is one show that I watch and love. However, it's not entirely child-friendly and comes on while the girls are still awake. No problem. I just watch the show a week behind on Hulu every week---without all the long commercial breaks! What did I ever do without it? Can you tell we don't have TIVO?

And I just want to say, for no reason other than it is interesting to me, that I have 2 posts which receive hit after hit on search engines on this blog. They are this one and this one. Every single week someone googles something along the lines of "who comes first mother or wife?" or "mother comes before husband" or something like that. Obviously the order of the family is confused in our society--no shock. The other thing that gets searched all the time is "how to be a homemaker" or "homemaking skills" or "professional homemaker". Interesting...do you suppose a lot of women are as lost as I am on this whole "be groomed your whole life for career and then find yourself at home" thing?

Last of all, as my FIRL Katherine alluded to in the comments of the last post....I perhaps have not been entirely open about my nerdiness. There are certain things I am very particular about and making lists/plans is one of them. Not lesson plans, mind you....that's too mundane. But when I get excited about a project, I really get into it. Most of the time, my plans go way beyond my actual achievement level, but no matter. Lately I've been thinking of things we can do at home this summer and I intend to provide you with that completely anal/OCD-like list next week. For your viewing pleasure.

You're welcome.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Have a great time on your trip!!

    You go girl- packing for camping is NOT an easy feat alone.

    Thank God for your OCD.

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that your husband is getting a much needed break. Have a good time.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)