Sunday, November 18, 2007

More Nostalgia--Twenty Years Ago

If I thought ten years ago sounded like a long time ago...you should see me trying to remember 1987! I was a junior in high school. That was the same year that I started dating my husband, S. We had gone out one time our sophomore year of high school but it was totally a trick. He kind of said something along the lines of, "I was just wondering if you would be interested in going to see Christmas lights with some friends next weekend." To me, it sounded like a group of people were going to do something fun. We had known each other our whole lives--I probably figured the "friends" would be people we both knew. Then on Wednesday of that week he called me to confirm. As I hung up I think I said something like, "Uh oh. I think this is a date."

My mom was amused as I recall. My sisters were up in arms. We were not allowed to date in our house until we were 16. At the time of that first date, I was 2 weeks away from my 16th birthday. All week they kept referring to my "group outing." Since it couldn't possibly be a date.

"What are you going to wear to your group outing?" "What time is this group outing supposed to take place?" Sisters. And, as it turned out, it was a double date with his best friend and fiance'!!!!! He totally tricked me.

But that was in 1986. Soon S. and I would be dating full time. And we have been together ever since.

I also decided what I was going to major in and which college I would attend during the course of that year. I don't remember if I prayed about any of that. Or considered any alternatives. Or studied my Bible. I just did what I was supposed to do...finish high school, decide on a college, get a degree, and then a job. And THEN, I could get married. Yep. That was the plan.

So...dating, public high school, going away to college, getting a degree, deciding on a career, and delaying marriage until a "reasonable" age. All things I have been seriously thinking about my daughters NOT doing. Hmmm.

Life is ironic, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. I was a junior that year too! Again, seems like an eternity.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)