Sunday, August 5, 2007

My Girls...

...this article really hit home. Not because we struggle with these things personally, but because I have daughters.

Sweetheart, you will be 8 this month.

May you wear pony tails in your hair. And bows.
May you enjoy the doll I am getting you for your birthday.
May you love the dresses your Grandma sews for you.
May you want to go to the park, the library, church, McDonalds, and the toy store. All of these more than the beauty salon.
May you be happy if you are clean and your teeth are brushed.
May you sometimes not care if you are dirty and your hair is crazy-looking. Because you are too busy playing to notice.
May you learn what true beauty is from the Lord. Not your friends. Not a magazine. Not celebrities.
May you look forward to the day when you will wear make-up, fix your own hair, paint your nails, or shave your legs. May you look forward to these things as being far in your future.
May you enjoy being a little girl right now.
May you be more protected than the little girls in the article. They need prayer and protection.

You are my first-born. I need God's help to raise you in a way that pleases Him. Especially when these examples are all around. And godly examples seem to be so few.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful. I too have an 8 year old and feel the same way. A couple a months ago she informed me that I was bloated and cramping beause I was getting my "period" Wow I thought, its time for that talk.... where did the time go, I miss the good old days!!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)