Tuesday, August 7, 2007

August for Me

If I were still a teacher, I would be back at work now. We usually had to be back at work by about the 5th of August. Kids usually started back by the 15th. This year in our state, the loophole where districts could apply for a waiver is gone and they cannot start before the 3rd week in August or something like that. So for the first time in forever, school does not start around here until August 28. Our summer has been extended. We have August back.

My brain did not get that message.

I have been feeling like I need to be doing something. Like maybe I'm forgetting something important. OH! I know! I'm supposed to be getting my classroom ready right now. I'm supposed to be making big plans for bulletin boards and room organization and lesson plans and wonderful school type things. I haven't taught in 3 years, but this is what my body is used to. August is for getting ready for school.

Now, every year I have one big nightmare before school starts. One year it was that I forgot to get my classroom ready. I showed up and there they were--a whole room full of students (of all ages, some former students, some strangers, no one went together...) all waiting on me. And there I stand. No plans. No copies. Nothing ready. Because I forgot. Boy, was I ever glad to wake up from that one! One year it was that I accidentaly sent the kids home at midday. Waved goodbye to them on the front porch of the school, got in my car and left. Then, I looked at the clock in my car and realized it was only 11:30am and I was supposed to send them to P.E.--NOT HOME!!! I race back to school and frantically run around trying to find the children I am responsible for. Not a happy dream.

The best thing about August? It's the month I became a Mommy. Sweetheart was due to arrive on August 17--the 2nd day of school that year. Imagine the parents' surprise when they walked their children to class on the first day of school and were met by a 10 month pregnant teacher who was just about ready to explode! I actually made it through the whole first week of work before she arrived. When we were home from the hospital I stashed my work ID badge in the dresser. I didn't even want to LOOK at it! I was a Mommy. For 3 glorious months I only needed to concern myself with that. No more worrying with other people's kids.

And now I find myself at home again with this wonderful little girl who is about to turn 8. She really does have one of the sweetest hearts that I know. I cannot wait to be her teacher each and every day. (I know, I know, I've been teaching her since she was born--but now I won't be sharing the job!)

So this August I will happily be preparing for my students (I just know I'm going to like them!). I will be getting all our supplies ready, making lesson plans, and getting excited about all the cool things we are going to do.

Just like every August--but this year without the nightmares.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! I have those same feelings in August too. Shouldn't I be back in my classroom getting everything ready? Praise the Lord I get to be home in my pjs making VERY specific lesson plans for one child. No classroom set up needed (well, maybe a little bit of rearranging of some bookcases.) :) Blessings to you this August!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brenda -

    I am just beginning to get ready for school. ACK! Moving last week and preparing for that move has really upset my apple cart. :)

    Enjoy your school year! :)

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)