Thursday, August 30, 2007

Homemaking: Uses Time Wisely

This is one of the items usually found on the conduct section of a report card. I know because I have not only issued hundreds of report cards, I also had this item checked on my own report card when I was in school. Meaning, of course, that I needed to make improvements in that area. (More often it was "controls talking" that got checked! :) Teachers are to report on whether or not the student makes good use of the time given them to complete assignments and what they choose to do with any spare time they might have. (Read a book: good. Talk to neighbor: not good.)

As a homemaker, a wife, a mom, and a homeschool "teacher", I have SO many opportunities to bless others! When I worked full-time, and even part-time for that matter, I did not have nearly the opportunities I have now. Any time that was not spent at work was used up before I even got started. There was laundry to do, housework, grocery shopping, bills to be paid, phone calls to be made, appointments to be squeezed in, homework, volunteer work for church, and oh yeah, my family. I fell into bed every night knowing I didn't finish and woke up every morning going over a "to do" list in my head.

I am still amazed at the amount of extra time I have during the day! I feel like we have been given so much freedom! I am available to do tasks my husband needs me to handle, take care of the housekeeping, teach my girls, spend time with my children during the day, and still do special projects that make our home nicer. Not that I get every single thing done every single day, but there is always time tomorrow.

It would be easy to listen to the world and say, "I need to take some time for myself." "My husband needs to understand that I am busy ALL day!" "I'm home all day with my kids, isn't that enough?" "I deserve_________..."

But God's Word has this to say:

24Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. (1 Corinthians 10:24)

How are we seeking the good of others? Sometimes I am just sure I am doing the things that bless my husband the most, when in reality he would much rather me concentrate on other things. I encourage you to ask the Lord what things you need to concentrate on. Of course, His Word already lines some of that out for us! As a wife, mother, and homemaker, I have awesome opportunity to bless my family as well as those outside of our house. I pray that the Lord would show me what things He would have me do each day.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great post on using our time wisely! I know I'm in much need of such advice... and yes - when the world demands so much of us, we are not simply busy, we are overwhelmed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written, Brenda. Thanks for the reminder of using my time wisely. Now I must go do that! (Oh, and I really like your point about praying about what the Lord would be having us do instead of what we think is good for others.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for this post. i needed to hear these words! i am a new SAHM and am trying to get the routine and schedule down. mostly i feel often taken for granted, but it is not about me, it is about my service I can finally do for my family since i no longer work outside the home!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "extra" time benefit is one of the main things our family has noticed and enjoyed since beginning to homeschool. The time spent in the car is now spent at home, just as one example. Of course, my challenge now is as you pointed out in your title is that of using my time wisely and not frittering it selfishly. Your counsel is valuable and true. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)