Monday, January 7, 2013

Little Known Facts About Our Homeschool

  • Our homeschool started in August of 2007. Sweetheart was in 2nd grade (after repeating 1st in school) and Little Bit was 3 1/2 years old.
Little Bit's 4th birthday that fall.
  • We schooled at the dining room table using Abeka curriculum.


  • We have not, however, homeschooled in the bathroom yet.

  • The best investment I ever made to our homeschool was this.

  • One thing I am very thankful for is my husband agreeing for us to use Sonlight Curriculum. It's expensive, but it's so good. I am thankful to have it.

  • I have boxes of our old work. I don't really know what to do with it, but I don't want to get rid of it. One day I'll run out of room and have to deal with it.

  • We have 1 1/2 more years until Sweetheart is in high school. (!!!!!)

  • One day I'll have a senior in high school, an 8th grader, and a Kindergartner all at the same time.

  • It took me a while to shake off the school teacher mentality. Then I got a little too relaxed, and now I'm back to being kind of stressed. It's a hard balance.

  • My children will NOT be graduating early, or half-way through college in high school, or any of the other stereotypes of homeschoolers. My children are quite normal--bordering on struggling instead of bordering on genius. And I'm OK with that.

  • I have rarely regretted my curriculum choices. I have changed my mind, but really I am pretty glad we used everything we used. (With one exception coming to mind--that one ended up in the trash can.)

  • I secretly long for a house with a huge homeschool room/playroom. One day. I will be content until then.

  • I miss doing art projects, cooking projects, and other fun stuff. It's all we can do to get through school with a baby around. But the kids don't seem any worse for wear.

What about you? Any little known facts about your homeschool?

2 comments:

  1. I am working on relaxing, want to get my girls
    Into a homeschool enrichment program next year so they can have music and art. And truth is if I could fully relax I would LOVE to unschool for even just a little while. :) just going from private school curriculum to Charlotte mason method & unit studies is amazing! I too dream of a dedicated homeschool area that can double as a crafting/sewing area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sonlight has been so wonderful for us, too! ;) a hard balance, indeed.

    we're not really worried about being on the fast track either... graduating college before 20? psh! not us. let them be kids while they can, i say. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)