Monday, February 9, 2009

Are You Biblically Literate?

I've been thinking about this term "biblical illiteracy" for a few days now. The Barna Group had some things to say about this several years ago. From our own personal experience, my husband and I watched a few years ago as the junior high group struggled to locate a scripture in their Bibles. What book was that scripture in? The gospel of Mark. So, yeah. I would have to agree.

In my reading I did this weekend, I learned that 100 years ago, even people who did not consider themselves religious probably knew more about the Bible than many Christians do today. When the Bible was used in schools and books such as Noah Webster's Blue Back Speller, everyone had some knowledge of scripture. Students got the biblical references in Shakespeare's writings. This article had some interesting things to say on the subject.

Well, as usual I'm still mulling over a lot of things in my mind. I'll probably be posting on this topic some more once I get it all figured out. For the time being...I'll leave you with a few quizzes. The first one has the answers with it so it's really not fair.

Quiz #1
Quiz #2
Quiz #3

How did you do? How do you think your kids would do?

5 comments:

  1. Well I am happy to report that I got a 100% on the quiz. [wipes brow in relief] But my kids haven't learned all those stories yet, like the one about Eutychus. But most of them they should know.

    I think. I'll have them try it later. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took quiz number 2. I got 19 out of 20. I missed the one about the value of 30 pieces of silver. I knew when I saw that question I was in trouble. But with that score, I'd say I'm biblically literate.

    Now my kids, on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed 3... the flaming sword I have heard it a thousand times but could not think. I missed the silver quesition and I missed the last one abut Eutychus

    Fairly sure the kids would not do well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took quiz #2, and missed one question. I then had my 5yo take the test and he got 8 out of 20 right, including the one about the which books were written by a doctor. He then confessed that he had just guessed at that one. lol We had fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took quiz #2 and scored 100%. Biblical literacy is a personal passion for me. I'm grieved at how illiterate our culture has become. A quest for truth (the world's version) has misled so many. Knowing what God says and practicing it are a believer's privilege and responsibility before the Lord. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this topic.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)