Friday, July 20, 2007

Waiting For Perfect

I realized yesterday that I have been putting off a lot of things. There are several little projects around the house that I think about doing all the time...and then put them off again. Why? Because the time is not perfect.

Here's what I mean: I have one more section of a valance to sew for my kitchen window. When I finish it, the kitchen will be complete. The window has been sitting there without a valance for months. It looks like it's missing a tooth. Why don't I just go do it then? Well, my sewing room has a lot of junk in it right now so that I can't get to the sewing machine very easily. One thing in the way is the ironing board. And there's no sense putting the ironing board away until I'm done with the laundry. (Brenda exits to do laundry--valance forgotten.) Another thing in the way is art supplies/school supplies. I need to do some work in our home office so I will have a place to store those items and then my sewing room will be ready to use. (Brenda exits to go work on home office--valance forgotten.) That's how it happens. That is also why I have one light fixture that is antique gold and one that is painted silver in the bathroom. (It's so much trouble to get the paint out and then I would probably get interrupted and then wouldn't have time to wash out the brush.)

But what if I just jumped in and did it? Do I really have to wait for the perfect time/circumstance/place? So today I marked one project off my list. I put wallpaper border up in Sweetheart's room. I just got everything ready, called my dad to come help and did it. It all took less than an hour. I could have found a lot of excuses for not doing this project today, but now it's already done.

We hear a lot about perfection. People are very fond of saying things about perfection. Here are a few:
"They are just perfect for each other."
"In a perfect world..."
And the big one..."Nobody's Perfect!"

If you Google the phrase "nobody's perfect" you will get over 2 million results! There are songs with this title, movies, even books. It's one of those little lies we hear so much that we believe it. I've even read about this church with a sign on their door with the same message. But is this true? As Christians, should we just throw up our hands and say, "Oh well, nobody's perfect." (Therefore I am not perfect. Therefore I have a built-in excuse for why I have or have not done things.) If Satan can keep all Christians believing this lie, then we will stay like we are always.

What does God have to say about this?

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. (Matthew 5:48)

For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. (Hebrews 10:14)

I get tired of hearing about how we can't expect much more than we see around us. The Lord is Perfect. I will put myself (and my family and my house) in His hands.

What a perfect place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)