Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Weaving the Bible in Your School Day

I've been pondering how to fit more Bible into our days. We certainly need to read and study the Bible more around here.

My plan is to eat breakfast together as a family this year. Well, minus Daddy who will already be at work. We can read some together at the breakfast table and pray for our school day. We have, in the past, just eaten in shifts. I'll be working to change that this year.

It will take discipline.

The Bible as a subject in school will be first in our day, as usual. I won't be doing everything in our Sonlight plans in favor of doing more together. For example, we'll be working on memorizing the same passages instead of 2 different ones for 2 different grade levels. We'll do their assigned Bible reading together this year too.

But it's more than just checking off the box that we "did Bible" each day. I really want it in front of us. I want it to be a part of our whole day.

One idea I had was to put Bible verses on Sweetheart's subject folders.

Instead of a binder this year, Sweetheart will have separate folders. I think it gives a sense of accomplishment to put a folder away when that subject is done!
Aren't they colorful?

I searched for a meaningful verse for each subject. The verse for math is my favorite:

For God is not the author of confusion but of peace... 1 Cor. 14:33 :)
Here are the other verses I chose if you want to use them:

Bible: Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105

History: For whatever things were written before were written for our learning...Romans 15:4 (I know that is talking about scripture but I still think we can learn from History.)

Reading: When wisdom enters your heart, And knowledge is pleasant to your soul, Discretion will preserve you; Understanding will keep you, To deliver you from the way of evil...Proverbs 2:10-12a

Language Arts: Apply your heart to instruction, And your ears to words of knowledge. Proverbs 23:12

Science: (we are doing Anatomy this year) I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made...Psalm 139:14a

How do you weave scripture in your day?

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)