Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Three Moms in One

It's so interesting in our family now.


I've got one daughter who is trying so desperately to be grown up. She needs me to help her learn to fix her own hair, and remind her to wash her face, and keep on her about her room. She needs praise when she does responsible things on her own and when she makes wise choices. She needs me to allow her to stay up later, sit with the adults sometimes, and still skip off to go play with her little sister too.


I've got another daughter who is getting to be a big girl. She needs me to read to her, sew dolls for her, and cuddle with her on the couch. She needs to be listened to, not be treated like she's little, and included. She needs me to braid her piggy tails every morning. And run her bath water for her at night.

And I have another daughter who needs a whole lot! She needs to be nursed, held, changed, dressed, bathed, and played with. She needs naps and consistency and attention. She needs me to talk to her and sing to her and let her try new things. She needs mama every minute of the day.


They all need love. And I feel so honored to be their mother. To be entrusted with their little lives. With our 13 year span of age, I sometimes feel like 3 different moms. And I love how I'm learning to flow from one to the other seamlessly. Yes, I can nurse the baby, listen to the 8 year old tell me what she's pretending, and tell the 12 year old where the correct measuring cup is for the meal she is making--all at the same time.

Now don't ask me how I'm going to do school this year.

It might not be so seamless.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)