Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Living in Private

Can I just say I am SO thankful that my husband isn't a politician? Whenever I watch coverage of all the primaries on TV I always watch the wives and think about things from their position. I've even been thinking about Laura Bush lately and how she is going to have to organize a move out of the house they have been living in for the last near decade.

The main reason I'm glad we are not in the public eye? I don't always have to worry about my hair and make-up and clothes and weight and looking wonderful. Whew! What a load off my back!

We are not "important" enough for my house to be on display either. One of my best friends is selling her house right now and having to keep it perfectly picked up (with 3 kids) before she walks out the door each day. I remember living like that when our last house was on the market. It's terrible! Of course, I suppose if we were important enough, there would be household help...

In truth, there is a very small circle of the world watching me and my family. It's important, I know. We represent Christ to folks. But we aren't having to worry about living up to the world's standards.

In fact, there are a lot of things that scripture tells us to keep private. Prayer is one of them.
Matthew 6:6 says: But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Fasting is another thing. Read Matthew 6:16-18: "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

That's why I've been slightly confused about this event being announced in our worship program for the last month. But anyway.

The other thing Jesus teaches privacy on is giving to the needy. Here is Matthew 6:2-4: "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

When I started this post I was thinking of these things without even realizing they were in the same section of scripture! Here is the verse that begins the whole teaching, Matthew 6:1:

"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

That's a pretty powerful statement, in my opinion. May we all learn to quietly serve the Lord in our own little corners of the world.

2 comments:

  1. This was a good word indeed. Thanks for sharing it. Like you, I couldn't imagine being under the world's microscope. Just the thought of my immdeiate circle seeing my foibles, faults, and issues is enough to make me shudder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wondering how I am going to pull that off! When it's time to sell, how do you manage the naps, the meals, the constant clean up? Where can I go to hang out with 2 kiddos? I just pray it's the first person who lays eyes on it. What? Don't you beleive in miracles?

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)