Monday, January 21, 2008

Cuteness Abounds!

I know at the end of yesterday's post I swore off of inserting pictures....
...but I was excited and I just had to share! LOOK at what cuteness was found between the pages of the L. L. Bean catalog that arrived at my house:

The really exciting part is that they offer these dresses up to size 10! They are so simple, cute, MODEST, and little girl looking. I love them. I'm not about skimpy or short dresses. I'm not about dressing my girls 10 years older than they are. I'm all about them being able to play in what they are wearing. This will be just perfect thank you very much.

So my sister and I got to thinking, if a dress like this is featured in a catalog like L. L. Bean, then maybe this type of dress is going to be in style this year?

Score! Here's one from Old Navy:

Again, they go up to big sizes. Also, the Old Navy dresses can be added to some little leggings for another look. I'm not sure how long they are in real life...maybe the leggings are necessary?

And here is one more from Land's End:


Now I really like this one. By the way, my mom makes Sweetheart these little shorts to wear under dresses in the summer. They are skinny like bike shorts, but made of cotton. I had her make them in black so no one would think they were...unmentionables...should they happen to see them. (It is our goal to not let that happen, but ladylike mannerisms are awfully hard to catch onto when you are little.) Also, they are shorter than bike shorts, but they do the trick. Last year Little Bit was still quite content to wear the many pairs of eyelet bloomers my mom made. (They weren't puffy) I don't know how a 4 year old will feel about continuing that tradition--even though I bet they will still fit her!

Well, there you have it. I am not happy with what I saw online from Target, Wal-Mart, or Kohl's. When I think I have accidentally searched the women's section--there is a problem. There were a few things that might have made the cut, but overall they failed. Let me know if you find any more great dresses out there for little girls!

And I hate that I struggle with the thought, "Am I making her look too young?" SHE'S 8 FOR GOODNESS SAKE! Eight! Do you remember 8? I was roller skating, playing with dolls, and reading when I was 8--not imitating teenagers. (Sorry--ranting again.)

10 comments:

  1. Try Sears at the end of season. They sell Lands End and mark it down. Currently, long sleeve dresses are $19.99 but they will go down. I got a bunch of these for less last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these are darling dresses! Very fun!

    And, NO, you are not making her look too young! In my opinion, this is what an 8 year old SHOULD wear. I am getting discouraged that when I go shopping for my daughter, now that she can wear a 4/5 in the big girl's section of most stores, the pickins' are slim. And short. And 10 years too advanced. Ugh!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a mom of boys, I say a hearty "thank you" for being conscientious in how your little girls are dressed. I pledge you my conscientiousness in training my boys to properly esteem little ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case you're interested...

    I just bought my daughter the striped one from Old Navy. (The blue...NOT the pink! Because pink is her 'not favorite color')
    I bought her a size 8 which for her is a perfect fit. The hem reaches about 2 inches above the knee. It's a bit short for my taste but it still is respectable. I think if bike shorts were worn under it the dress would cover the shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tammi! I was suspicious when I saw that leggings were an option. Yeah, that's a bit short for me without the leggings. But it is a cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda,
    I think you should not worry about dressing your 8 year old "too young".
    I think it's good to encouarge the "young behaviors" (whatever that is..you know what I'm talking about) for as long as you can....soon enough they will grow up and our culture wants them too do it too fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My little girl is only 17 mos., but I know what you're talking about. I do not look forward to the days of dressing her in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mother of 2 boys! God bless you, mothers of little ladies! I never have to encounter these dilemas but I see your challenge. Thank you for raising up a remnant of Godly women that could one day be a fitting helpmate for my sons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for these ideas. It is SINFUL to me how little girls are encouraged to dress like little harlots nowadays. It's shameful. I draw the line as well.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)