Thursday, April 12, 2007

Some Lies We Listen To

Recently my eyes have been opened to how many lies of Satan we Christians, women specifically, believe. I wondered why the families in our church didn't stand out from the world more. I believe it is because we have bought some of the same lies that any other person on the street has believed.

The first lie I wrote about is the concept of "Me Time." See my thoughts on Me Time here. The lie I'm thinking about today is called "That's Just How I Am." This is a great, clever trick used by Satan to keep us being mediocre or just downright unsuccessful. I'll give you an example. I stayed home for a year. I couldn't believe my good fortune to be able to finally be a SAHM!!! I had been a working mother for 5 years and couldn't wait to be a housewife. Well, it wasn't a very successful year in my estimation. My priorities were way out of whack (spent all my free time doing "ministry" and neglecting my family--more on this lie another day!) But the bigger failure is that my house was always a mess, the finances were not organized or taken care of like they should have been, my husband often did not have clothes to wear to work, etc. Why? Because...you guessed it..."That's Just How I Am." I just told myself that I was disorganized, so how could I possibly expect myself to keep up with everything that needed to be done? I am not good at paperwork, never have been, so this is as good as it's going to get. I am not a good housekeeper, so I don't expect my house to look like so-and-so's.

So that's the lie we've been told. You hear it all the time. Especially when people are describing a weakness they have. "I just wasn't born that way." "It doesn't come naturally to me." "That's just how I am." But is this what scripture teaches us?

Philippians 4:13
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

I do NOT believe for one minute that God would ask me to be a helper for my husband and a keeper of our home and not equip me with what I needed to do the job. "Sorry, God. I can't really run a household because..." you get the idea. Maybe some things don't come as easily to me as they do others. Maybe I don't know the first thing about cooking or canning or budgeting. But guess what? I do know that God can help me learn whatever it is I need to learn. I do not have to listen to the lie that will keep me doing a poor job for the rest of my life. His grace is enough for me.

I DO believe that if I am successful at being a helper to my husband, and keeping our home that our family will be a greater threat to the enemy. That's why this lie is so good.

Lord, please help me learn those things that will help my husband and family the most. I want to serve you in this home to your glory. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)