Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Why I Like Big Kids

I have mourned the passing of Sweetheart's childhood....always. Every year I was a mixture of sad and happy as she kept growing up and advancing in age. But, looking back, the years between 7 and 10 things didn't change ALL that much.

I mean, she was taller.
But she still liked a lot of the same things. Her favorites stayed consistent for a long time.
She still had the same little personality.
She looked similar--just a bit older each year.
She was still my baby.

But 12? Twelve has been something else. I mean, you can't deny the very obvious physical changes going on. She is becoming a young lady. And she has glasses now. And I just cut her hair. And she's 5' 1".

And she only asked for 1 toy for her birthday. And she can't really think of any toys she wants for Christmas. I don't even know what to do with that.

But having a big kid is pretty cool too. She is very helpful. She can reach almost anything. She can follow directions 200% better than her 9 year old self could. And she can go fishing until 10:00 at night with Daddy.

And that's pretty cool.

I just wish she would still fit on my lap. Humph.


  1. Oh, I'm totally feeling your joy and sadness through that post! She's just gorgeous and you're doing just great! And can I say one more time I wish we lived closer? Really.


I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)