Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Catching Up Day

There was no school at our house today. I felt the need to catch up on some responsibilities. I made a frugal menu plan, grocery list, and shopped. We are ready for one week of meals now. I also caught up on the check book (which I am terrible at doing) since I forgot to pay some bills last month and paid them later and so they came out of THIS paycheck instead of LAST paycheck. That, on top of extra expenses for Little Bit's birthday and just general carelessness on my part as far as spending goes, means we need to be REALLY careful for the next two weeks. I hate that. I hate that I could have done better but just didn't.

Well, it's a new day.

So today I had to let school go while I did these things. I also plan to clean out the refrigerator instead of thinking, "man, I need to clean this thing out!" for the 475th time as I shut the door. Who knows? I may get really crazy and do some laundry! I'm just tired of feeling like all these things are half done.

You know that mental running list that women keep? It's exhausting, isn't it?

On a good note, I started my mom's Christmas present and it's going really well and fast too! I also have ideas for my sisters and sisters-in-law. Now.....if I could just decide what the girls are getting. I thought I had it figured out, but my idea hasn't worked out so I'm back to square one. I know there are people out there who have finished all of their Christmas shopping. I know because I am related to some of them. They make me sick. I just wanted you to know that.

Still, I've been thinking today a lot about the Compassion El Salvador trip and how 10 people live in one house in such poverty. We really are blessed beyond measure. I pray that the Lord would help me to be a better steward of it.

9 comments:

  1. Okay ~ so I am realizing I am so anal! I would freak if I "forgot" to pay some bills. I balance my check book out to the penny every week. Ask K and he will tell you some of the stories of me being off just a few cents!

    I (like your relative) (p.s. I know who you are!) have been entirely done with Christmas shopping back in early Oct. Mainly cause I can't stand going shopping during the holiday season. I think it is so worth getting it done early than spend all of Nov/Dec. holding my tongue every time I try to shop. People are just so rude when it comes to shopping around holiday season, that, and I'm claustrophobic and can't stand too many people around me!

    Our church took a mission trip to Mexico last year and it was incredibly humbling to say the least. We are extremely blessed I agree! Glad you got some work done on your mom's gift. I know it will turn out nicely! Be sure to post a picture of your handiwork when you get it all done. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. G-I thought we established this fact when you showed me your embroidery thread. Raise your hand if you want to see her emboidery thread. Then I'll show you my tangle...I mean mine.

    And yes, I did freak but what could I do? I rushed over to the computer and paid them. The deed was already done. Sigh.

    Maybe you'll rub off on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry B ~ I hope I didn't make you feel badly. K read my response and was like "don't rub her nose in it and make her feel worse!"
    That wasn't my intent.
    Maybe you'll rub off on me too and I'll lighten up some. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you didn't make me feel bad!!! It's like we're from different countries. :) Come learn the way of the foreigner! LOL!

    Chill K---I have a big snarky sense of humor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stoped by to tell you I enjoy your blog and that As a homeschooling mom, it sounds like ya needed the day off! We took the day off yesterday and I am wondering why I dont take a day off every week! At least you have thought about Christams shoping, I cant even bring myself to that point yet!
    Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. just so you know, i haven't started my christmas shopping. :) and i love that you met your husband when you were little too!!! isn't it so fun?!?! hope you had a great refreshing day off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you love it when you're out shopping during the school day and people ask your children (instead of you) "Why aren't you in school today?"

    And then we explain that we homeschool, which here in SA isn't very common. And they always say (slowly) "Okaaaayy..that's niiiice."

    And then we smile and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is this "check book" you speak of? Seriously, I didn't realize anyone wrote checks anymore! :) The few bills I can't set up electronic payment for, I use my credit union's "bill pay" function instead -- so I guess I do send a couple of checks a month, but I never write them myself.

    The best thing I've ever done to relieve bill-related stress was to start having a monthly budget meeting with my husband. The 25th of every month we have lunch together and plan out where every dollar is going. It's so much more enjoyable to know that I planned to spend $10 at Ross, so no guilt! That being said, I did have to make some "adjustments" to the budget after I bought my daughter's birthday presents this month...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. daveramsey.com...You'll never miss a bill again. :)

    Haven't started Christmas shopping. I wanted to, but alas, it's not going to happen before Thanksgiving. Sigh... :)

    And as for that mental to-do list, I always plan twice as much in my head to do in one day that is possible to accomplish. You are in good company.

    Now, I am off to do laundry. Or maybe not. :)

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)