Monday, February 25, 2013

My Big Summer Idea

So I think we've been doing pretty well in school this year considering our added distraction blessing this year.

We started out the school year with a 3 month old laying on the couch beside me or nursing all the way through school and now we've graduated to a card table set up in the middle of the living room every morning. She's crawling, she's pulling up, she's cruising, she's grabbing, and she's not conducive to peaceful learning.

But oh my word we love her.

Anyway, I think we've been getting a lot done in spite of it all. However, there are several subjects that have been neglected. All I can think to do is hit them in the summer, because our days are maxed out.

One of those subjects is language arts. Now that's a pretty big term. That can include handwriting, reading, spelling, grammar, English, literature, writing, etc. Of course we are hitting some of that each day, but not all.

So I'm thinking of having a little "Language Arts Boot Camp" this summer. What that would look like is 30-45 minutes a day (four days a week) of instruction (each girl on her level) with a little practice thrown in in several ways.

I'm still thinking through it all.

But I think that a small amount each day of focused instruction, rather than squeezed in hurried bits and pieces each week, may be more effective.

Now to just think of fun ways to do it all. And what curriculum I may want to use. And what my goals are.

Hmm.

Good thing I love planning!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Brenda!!! I didn't know you had another baby!!! I've been behind on my blogging, too. She's lovely!!!!!!! :) so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)