Sunday, June 1, 2008

It's Finally Here!!!!

We made it to summer! I guess I need to change my header now, huh? We finished up school last week and spent Friday deep-cleaning the front room, entryway, and living room. Little Bit scrubbed baseboards, Sweetheart washed windows, I shampooed the carpet, etc.

The rest of the house, however, is another story.

And "finished up school" is a laughable statement. I know that now. Homeschooling is a way of life and there is no "finshed" to it. We will continue to learn and do things....but math pages have gone by the wayside for a while. I don't feel pulled to sit at the table with them and do things.

My sister and her kids come tomorrow. We know there won't be any need to keep the girls entertained since this will be their first week playing together in a while. So that should give sister and I some time to plan. Can you just imagine the nerdiness we can come up with together?

Our summers have changed so much. There was the summer we both sat around in my living room nursing babies (Moose was 2 months old, Little Bit was 7 months) and the "big girls", who were 4, just played. That was a nice summer.

Then the next summer we had walkers on our hand and there wasn't so much sitting. We spent our summer trying to keep the babies away from the 5 year olds so the 5 year olds could have some peace. And trying to get them to take naps.

Now when we all get together there is really a lot of screaming and squealing and if you don't have girls you just can't really imagine the headaches that girls can give you. So we try to contain them in one area of the house while we attempt to talk. And jump up to see who is crying. And jump up to settle arguments. And jump up when the big girls say, "Come look what the babies did!" They really do still call them "the babies" even though they are both 4 now.

S has had a lot of stress at work and I feel the need to really get things in order around here to help give him some peace in his life. Plus it's hurricane season now so I need to have things more organized just in case.

And right now, "organized" and "in order" are two phrases that do NOT describe our home. And something tells me tomorrow won't be the day it all gets itself in order. But that's OK....because it's SUMMER!!!!!!!

YEAH!

WOO-HOO!!!

And one more just for Julie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah hurricane season!! I think have have OCD with clutter, I love getting rid of stuff. Today I stood in the boy's room and thought, if a storm comes, you get your pillow, sleeping bag and a backpack to fill.

    My other favorite hurricane moment was when we thought Rita was coming and it was going to be the next Katrina. I was all over the place picking what to take and cleaning the house. Joe asked, why are you cleaning up. Guess what flashed in my head? Did you ever see "The Goonies"? The mom hired a housekeeper and said "I'd really like the house to be clean when they tear it down", that was so me. It also could have been the fact that I was 30 wks pregnant! So funny to look back on how ridiculous I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL about hurricane season! It's funny, Brenda, because I'm opposite - I get this thrilled at winter time! Fall is when I get to plant and flowers grow here in winter. (Like Aussies!) I don't celebrate South Florida summers - it's like our 'wintertime' - we stay indoors as much as possible in summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And coming from someone whose house flooded before....I know the benefits of having things picked up and in some kind of order PRIOR TO a catastrophe!

    But right now my house is the catastrophe. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks for the shout out!

    I am loving the new header.

    And totally jealous of your shelf thingy in the sidebar and may have to just run over and get one of my own.

    Happy clutter!!

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)