Sunday, October 14, 2012

Patting Myself on the Back

I am so proud of myself! I made baby food!!

OK. So, as it turns out, "baby food" is just grown up food mashed or pureed up. I know that now.

Let me start over. I've had a baby in my 20s, a baby in my 30s, and now...a baby in my 40s. (That pattern stops here, by the way!) I am a MUCH wiser mommy in my 40s than I was in my 20s. Much.

Sweetheart ate baby food. The kind that comes in a jar. WAY longer than was necessary. I liked it because I knew she was getting a fruit, a vegetable, and a meat at supper. (That statement makes no sense to me now.) I didn't know or care what was in those little jars. It was baby food. It was made by Gerber. What could be wrong with that?

Plus, I worked back then. I barely cooked for US, much less the baby!

Flash forward 13 years. I have been a homemaker for 5 or 6 years now. I have learned a few things. And it seemed to me that making Bee's baby food would be no big deal.

First I had to make sure I was getting the right thing. Text: Dad, is the one on the bottom the acorn squash?

OK--so 40 doesn't equal wise ALL the time.

So this morning S cut an acorn squash in half for me and I baked it. I filled 2 ice cube trays with it.


Then this afternoon, my dad baked a sweet potato for her. I got another almost full ice cube tray from that. Along with bananas and apples from our countertop, she should be good to go for quite a while! (Especially since I'm not feeding her at every meal, or even every day---just whenever the time seems right.)

I know I could have (should have?) waited until she was 6 months old, but she's ready. I watched for all the cues. I tested her tongue thrust reflex. I let her chew on an apple slice in the feeder thingy. She's an eater now. Its all going well except for that unfortunate idea to give her some cold carrot to chew on for those sore gums....



Thankfully, she forgave me later. After she threw it across the room.

5 comments:

  1. :) I had a two babies in my 20's. The one in my 30's has my heart. :) It is amazing to be a mom in different seasons of your life.

    I wanted my last two babies to eat my homemade baby food. They refused. They wanted our food barely mushed up with a fork. My babies were mean and never were babies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I'm proud of you too. I honestly never made baby food, but now I wish I had fed all my babies pureed versions of exactly what we ate. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember thinking that there must be something special about those convenient baby food jars when my girls were little. if only i could go back! baby food really 'is' just people food... mushed. duh. ha!!

    ummm... so, i'm guessing baby didn't approve of the food thingy. in my defense, it was on the target list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No no she loves that thing--with apple slices in it. NOT carrot!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)