Wednesday, August 12, 2015

In Which the Lord Comes Through for Us

Let me just go ahead and tell you: today was a very successful potty training day. That is all you need to know. And maybe that's why I felt like getting on here and blowing the dust off of the old blog. Oh, I've had SO much to say. 

So. Much.

But....3 year olds, and potty training, and ADD, and high school, and Tourette Syndrome, and vision problems and deaths in the family and lots of other things I'll catch you up on later....have prevented me from feeling like I had the time or brain cells necessary for blogging. Not like I used to. 

I really like writing here. 

It's good to be writing tonight. 

Tonight S is fishing. All three girls are asleep and the house is quiet. I've been despairing for weeks of how we will ever have the money we need for this school year to happen. Deep down I know the answer is just "trust God", but my very practical side wonders how? How will God work this out?

All day I've been writing down recent blessings that have come our way. I can't believe how long the list is. God is truly amazing. Some people might say we have just been lucky, or things have just worked out by coincidence, but I know better. I know that "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." 

I'll just share a few things God has done for this broke family in the last week:
*a small refund
*a free shirt for Sweetheart (back to school clothes!)
*a box of large sheets of paper was given to us that we will be using for a future venture
*some folks from our homeschool group decided to bless our family by giving us, not selling us, their microscope they were finished with
*my used curriculum sold 
*some other unexpected money 

Crazy, right? We will make it to next payday and we will even be able to buy some of our curriculum. Why should I even concern myself with HOW we will buy the rest? Obviously the Lord knows our needs. 

Which makes me even more committed to well....committing this school year, this homeschool of ours, to Him. Last year, to quote Annie, was "just plain awful." Sweetheart and I especially had a really bad  year in 9th grade. This high school thing kicked our butt and won. But we learned a lot and we are not giving up! School is not easy for my children. I have finally come to terms with that. I see other people studying things far above our capabilities and I wonder why we can't even seem to get the "normal" stuff done. But as S pointed out to me recently, "Our homeschool will never look like other people's. We have a lot going on here." He's right, you know. I don't consider Little Bit to be "special needs" but actually she is.  Add to that Sweetheart's failed ADD meds attempt, and various other challenges and school can be just plain hard. 

But I know that we are the best ones to educate our children. I think my focus just got all skewed worrying about transcripts and college and credits and what the world says we are "supposed to" be doing with our girls' schooling. 

Forget all that. I'm changing our focus. I can't totally throw out the high school graduation requirements, but they don't have to be at the center of our decisions. The Lord should be there. I'll fill you in later how I'm making sure that happens this year. 

Ah...it's good to be back here. A new background, some updated pics of the girls and their correct ages....now...who is going to read this thing? :) Oh well. It feels good to write anyway!! 

Until tomorrow, 

Brenda

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Brenda. Please hang in there. I love seeing you are back and blogging a little bit.

    ADD can be a bother at times. My son has ODD and ADHD. I had to take him off Concerta a month ago because he was experiencing dizziness and memory loss. Not sure what happened. He's been doing fairly well off. I am not sure what the school year will look like though. I have hope.

    Sometimes I forget that people struggle to meet the needs of homeschooling. I know how difficult it is to sell used curriculum as well. I have sold a bit and am thankful for it. It might also help to make a list for your homeschool followers to see what you need. Perhaps they have a used copy you can have.

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel, for the encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back! I was just thinking about you the other day and hoping you weren't gone for good!
    Your girls are getting so big. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are still here too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your perspective on the challenges your family faces. As another homeschooling mom with challenged learners it is helpful to read how others deal with real life's challenges and those that come with homeschooling. Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BRENDA!! So good to 'hear' from you again! The LORD always comes through in just the right way, right? Looking forward to read all about it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)