Friday, October 17, 2008

Fitness Friday: The Snack Edition

We made it through another week ladies! I feel like I did much better this week than last. Oh sure, I had my moments. Like today when I went to Whataburger and ate a cheeseburger instead of a salad. And that evil friend who left a bag of Halloween treats on our door? Not helpful (but delicious!). But I also made many good choices. And I'm more and more convinced that small choices made each day will add up to make a big difference. I'm not looking for some radical, dramatic change this time. I think that's a pretty healthy attitude.


My best moment was Wednesday night. We had a potluck dinner at a couple's house from church. Well, I guess you could call it a potluck but we ordered pizza, OK? I brought bag salad along and ate some of that with my piece of pizza. THEN, just as I was about to get up and get seconds on the pizza, someone showed up late with the best looking salad I have ever seen. So, I had salad for my second helping instead of pizza. I was so proud of myself, I celebrated with a brownie for dessert. But can I tell you how much different my menu would have been even 1 month ago? Trust me. ONE piece of pizza and ONE brownie are not my usual numbers!


Speaking of numbers, I measured myself today and even though I know the accuracy of my measuring is not scientific, I have lost 1 inch in my hips and 1 inch around my middle! I have also lost 1/2" in a few other places and I had to tighten up my bra this week. That made me pretty happy! Then, when S got home from work today, he hugged me and said, "You feel smaller." That made me REALLY happy! I told him I was inches smaller than a few weeks ago! (Edited to add: I just measure this morning and I have lost 4 1/2 inches total!)


Still, my clothes fit. But soon. Soon. Small choices every day. Repeat.


OK, about these snacks. When Karly and I first started this weight loss journey I was really concerned about what I would snack on. What I can't believe now is that I hardly think about snacks anymore. If I'm really hungry I get something. But a lot of times I look at the clock and say, "It's already after 4:00. Surely I can wait until supper." I'm not saying I don't snack...I'm just realizing how much mental energy I used to spend on food!



I do like to make sure I have some chocolate around. I feel very deprived if I don't have some chocolate. I have bought some Weight Watchers brand chocolate cakes, Oreo 100 calorie packs, and Weight Watchers ice cream bars. (Not all at once!) Other than that, I try to just grab 4 or 5 Triscuits, a handful of baked tortilla chips with salsa, Weight Watchers yogurt, or sometimes I just drink tea. I have found if I keep drinking all day then I am not as hungry. When you stop sucking down 44 ounces of empty calories (Sonic anyone?), you actually feel hunger and thirst and can respond to them! What a concept.


Oh yes, I said I would try to walk 2 times this week. Well, we went to the zoo on Monday and that totally counts as 2 walks because there was a LOT of walking involved. While pulling a wagon with an ice chest and/or a 3o+ pound 4 year old in it. Also a few times this week we just stepped outside and walked down the block and back. Not at a fast pace, but just to get out and move.


So, it was a pretty good week. Now I can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing because it is SO encouraging to know others are doing this too! And I want to hear about the things you are doing because I get good ideas from you people. So, thanks for playing along.


Next week's topic will be about exercise. I'll give you more details over the weekend, OK? :)






10 comments:

  1. Yay Brenda! I believe every little step towards good health counts. Way to go! And I am proud of you for getting out and getting active.

    The zoo TOTALLY counts as two walks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Julie. The zoo definitely counts as major exercise, right up there with theme parks and maybe even hiking since you were pulling Little Bit around.

    Your post sounds like mine on the issue of moderation rather than drastic changes. I've determined it's the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job Brenda...I am trying the Alli plan. Its pretty much no greasy food!
    I have been watching "the Biggest Loser" on T.V. and it has really been encouraging me. The trainers have tips in-between segments and they are some good ones, like doing jumping jacks during commercial breaks...man did I find out how "unfit" I am.
    Anyway moderation is the key. Don't try to do it whole hog(No Pun intended, in my case, LOL)Changing your habits is smart and good for your little ones as well.
    Have a great fitness friday. I'll try to participate next week.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Brenda! I am right there with you with the pizza and brownie thing! SO good! Way to fight temptation and stand up under it! It feels good doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sonic. Thankfully, we don't have one along my usual travel roads.

    Brenda, good for you losing those inches! And for your husband to say you feel smaller? Woo-hoo! I am so very proud of you, friend!

    Can't wait to hear the details about the next topic!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First the first time in my whole life - because of the Lord's recent healing in my - I can also say these words of yours -->

    "I'm not looking for some radical, dramatic change this time. I think that's a pretty healthy attitude."

    How wonderful to hear "You feel smaller" from S! That's got to be the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that it's the little right choices that will make the biggest difference over time. So this week I decided to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! You are doing so awesome, everyone is! you are so right about the little choices! I wanted to thank you again or maybe even for the first time for doing this! I desperately needed a really big push to get this rolling and you gave it to me and for that I am grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby steps! Good job! Shrinking does feel So good. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brenda, I just came across your blog through another blog.'Tami at Floating in Winter Creek' Anyway, I have been reading some of your posts and have decided that I probably will join in on your Fitness Friday thing. Looking forward to the next Fitness Friday posts.

    ReplyDelete

I don't get to talk to a lot of actual grown-ups during the day, so your comments make me really happy! :)